cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being listed in BT Phone Book

Username
Grafter

Being listed in BT Phone Book

If someone switches to PlusNet's HomePhone package, can they get listed within BT's PhoneBook?
At the moment they are with Orange, and so cannot get listed.
21 REPLIES 21
James
Grafter

Re: Being listed in BT Phone Book

Hiya,
Do they want to be listed in the BT phone directory?
We'll be able to submit an order to either be listed, or not.
Username
Grafter

Thanks, very helpful.
Once their Orange contract is up, they want to move to PlusNet and be listed in the phone book - only after they'd switched to Orange were they told that they can't now be listed - So your reply is another positive reason from them to move  Smiley
James
Grafter

I believe that they would be listed by default, so it would be a very simple, straightforward, transfer order.
Mand
Grafter

Not quite Mr B  Roll_eyes
If you're NOT listed on transfer you won't be unless we place an order to make it so.
So, Username, your friend would have to transfer, and then request the listing change to ensure they are listed in the Directory. Worth mentioning also that residential customers can only have one listing, a personal one (I mention this because BT allow dual listings, for people running offices from home and such, with us you would have to be on a business line to have more than one directory listing).
mal0z
Grafter

I have been ex directory for years, and wish that to remain.
I too had  assumed that if one changed provider, then this situation remains - but I don't recall the question being asked when I moved to PN Homephone.
Is it possible to double check if I'm still ex-directory.
I know some other phone providers have tripped up over this and people found themselves listed
Mal

James
Grafter

Hi Mal,
We should be able to fnd this out for you tomorrow.  Alternatively, you could raise a ticket and our Home Phone people should be able to tell you easily enough.
mal0z
Grafter

Thanks James - I've raised a ticket.
Mal
Not applicable

This hadn't occurred to me as my number has always been ex-directory and I assumed that it had been carried over from BT (I too was never asked this at signup).
Having just checked the BT directory enquiries pages I see that I am listed. Have raised a ticket and hope that it will be dealt with ASAP.
mal0z
Grafter

Not applicable

Mand - have sent you an urgent PM - please could you check at your earliest convenience?
James
Grafter

Hi Poppy,
I've flagged this for Mand.  I'll try and have a word with her when she gets back to her desk.
Mand
Grafter

PM replied to.
To clarify my earlier point, when you transfer into us on a standard transfer the directory listing is unchanged. So if you were ex-directory before you still will be, and if you were listed before you still will be.
For manual orders this is slightly different, and it's worth specifying if you'd rather be ex-directory as listed is the default choice.
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
To clarify my earlier point, when you transfer into us on a standard transfer the directory listing is unchanged. So if you were ex-directory before you still will be, and if you were listed before you still will be.
For manual orders this is slightly different, and it's worth specifying if you'd rather be ex-directory as listed is the default choice.

In theory this is the way its supposed to happen, but I have seen it several times that if your ex-directory switching to another provider seems to get the number listed again.  There was something about this on the TV recently with a competitor of plusnet.
Not applicable

The problem as I see it (if I am correct) is that there is no way that the user can know if their application for homephone is actioned manually or automatically by PN. For instance, I upgraded via the website so would have assumed that it was just done automatically. Had this been the case my ex-directory status would have remained the same. It turns out that mine was completed by someone so the status has changed without my knowledge.
Is it possible for this procedure to be looked at by PN so that people can be made fully aware?
As it is, my listing is in the latest directory when my number and address have not been in the book for many years and it is not really my fault - just didn't know until it was raised here. Not too pleased  but will have to live with it until the next issue of the BT directory. Presumably the BT website can be updated quickly?
I have contacted my referrals and one of the manual applications is in the directory and this is OK with her (it was before the changeover). Another is ex-directory and was before so that's OK too (hers must have been an automatic transfer).
It does need to be clarified because there are folk out there for whom it is important not to be listed.