cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for phone calls I've not made

Josephine22

Being charged for phone calls I've not made

After checking latest bill, noticed calls being charged to me that I've not made. Spoke to someone in technical who seemed sceptical and he  warned that, if an engineer was called out and nothing was found to be amiss at their end, I would be charged £65.

I was alarmed, in my naivety, thought other checks could be made by Plusnet  before engineer called out. Adviser did do line check but that was ok.

I put the said numbers in Google and no company shows to be connected to them, unlike others where the company name shows right away.  Just a strange lot of numbers and symbols.

Engineer coming out tomorrow morning but what if he finds nothing? I'll have a bill for £65 and problem not solved!

6 REPLIES 6
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Being charged for phone calls I've not made

@Josephine22 wrote:

Spoke to someone in technical who seemed sceptical...

Standard Plusnet response.  Sad

I was alarmed, in my naivety, thought other checks could be made by Plusnet  before engineer called out.

Indeed they can, but often they're not. Sad

It's easiest is you have a mobile phone. If not, can you engage the help of a friend or neighbour?

First, dial 17070 and check that your number is quoted.

Call a mobile or landline and check that your number is received (using 1471 if necessary). Then try a call TO your phone, and check that it rings.

The above tests are to establish whether there is a cross somewhere in the network - a common cause of wrongly recorded calls on a bill.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Josephine22

Thanks for the above info.

I have done the recommended tests and everything is coming through ok. Does this mean there is a fault at my end or theirs?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@Josephine22,

I've had a look at the test results and the information given. To be honest you've been provided the standard charging statement, but in the case of legitimate crossed lines you will never be charged. The line tests came back clear on testing - there is a specific 'crossed lines' testing option within Openreach's systems that's been used. (@198kHz I'd be interested to know what tests you think we can perform that we don't). 

I've had a look at the invoices on your account and wonder if any of the calls that are listed are by yourself? Would it be possible to update the ticket confirming from the most recent bill if any of those calls on your invoice are legitimately yours so we can differentiate the between the ones that are and aren't. 

When using the phone, if you use it, have you had any ghosts, or experienced crossed lines when attempting to call or receive calls? Heard anyone else speaking in the background when you're on a call, or received unexpected calls that weren't made for you?

Josephine22

When I spoke to the tech.adviser, I gave him the numbers of the disputed calls.  I am absolutely certain that I did not make these calls, they do not come up as having any companies attached to them when investigated on line.

I have looked into this a great deal and,unless the engineer is aware what to look for, the fault will not be picked up.  If he just tests for a crossline that comes back as ok, that may not be the problem.  I hope he will do more extensive tests.  I will find out tomorrow.

I would just like to know roughly what time he will be here in the morning, will he ring or text beforehand with this info?

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Josephine22

I'm afraid beyond the standard booking window of 8am-1pm, we can't narrow down the visit time to be more precise.

The engineers are provided a contact number to reach you and some will either drop you a quick message or call to let you know when they're nearby. Although we can't always guarantee it, so we'd always recommend you're on hand to answer the door within the arranged time slot.

Let us know how the appointment goes.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@JOLO wrote:

@198kHz I'd be interested to know what tests you think we can perform that we don't). 

Not so much 'tests', but a bit of investigation and analysis, along the lines that you give here:

I've had a look at the invoices on your account and wonder if any of the calls that are listed are by yourself? Would it be possible to update the ticket confirming from the most recent bill if any of those calls on your invoice are legitimately yours so we can differentiate the between the ones that are and aren't. 

When using the phone, if you use it, have you had any ghosts, or experienced crossed lines when attempting to call or receive calls? Heard anyone else speaking in the background when you're on a call, or received unexpected calls that weren't made for you?

The OP would suggest that no such questions were asked or suggestions made.

@Josephine22   It would appear that the problem is not a crossed line.

However, similar cases have been reported on this forum where there was a cross, but it's been cleared before the customer notices the phantom calls on their bill. Over what period were the unrecognised calls, and what was the date on the last one?

You can check here - https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=mybillsandpayments

to view calls since the last bill.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)