cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barring everything not included

driveconsultant
Grafter

Barring everything not included

I am thinking of putting PN phone and broadband into a house I am buying.
If I subscribe to Anytime+, is it possible to bar everything that would incur a charge beyond the £15 monthly? i.e. bar mobiles, international, 08xx, 09xx, reverse charge etc. I want to know that I can pay £15 for inclusive land line calls but never be hit with any extra charges on top.
18 REPLIES 18
James
Grafter

Re: Barring everything not included

I don't believe so.
I know that we can block all outgoing calls or all premium numbers but I don't believe that we (or more importantly OpenReach) allow specific blocking of all non-geographic numbers.
Not applicable

Unfortunately (for some) PN apply a credit limit of £70 so if you don't want this, I suppose you would have to ask the staff to reduce it.
I use Anytime+ and from time to time add credit of £5. This covers the cost of 08 and mobile numbers and usually lasts quite a while as I don't make many of these calls and use saynoto0870 whenever I can. In practice, it means that my bill is always £15 at the end of the month and that I never use the credit limit.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

James, what would happen if you (if you can this is) set his credit limit to zero?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

I'm guessing here (need to speak to Mand) but I'd expect outgoing call barring to be placed.
I'll check with Mand Smiley
James
Grafter

We could set the credit limit to zero, but as soon as a chargeable call was made, outbound call barring would be put on, which costs £5.87 to remove.
Not applicable

There are hardware devices available, which look similar to ADSL microfilters. They are programmable via a standard tone phone, but they cost around £20 and only protect one socket. Obviously they are easy to remove too, so not really a helpful option for many.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
We could set the credit limit to zero, but as soon as a chargeable call was made, outbound call barring would be put on, which costs £5.87 to remove.

Would that bar the inclusive calls too? Doesn't sound too useful.
So how do you get round the problem of a house where I don't want to pay for someone else's calls? I would like to provide a service, but would have no way of knowing who made the calls so would not be able to collect the cost of them.
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Have you thought of getting a payphone?
http://www.payphones.bt.com/buypayphones/index.htm
driveconsultant
Grafter

Payphone? Lateral thinking. No that's not what I want to do. I am prepared to pay for my tenants to have inclusive calls at £15 a month, and that should cover most of their needs. A lot of people have mobiles these days anyway. I just want to stop them from taking the you know what. This concept of limited credit would be OK if it didn't result in automatically barring calls. That just seems a bit dumb.
Looks like PN fails in this case. I have a few options;
A friend tells me that Utility Warehouse can do what I want.
Perhaps I don't put a phone in at all.
Or have incoming calls only.
I can get Virgin Media cable without a phone line at all, then my tenants can use Skype or VOIP.
Just wanted to consider PN first.
Not applicable

If you get Virgin Media for phone, they do offer the option to limit calls to geographical ones only - but the option costs £1.75 per month.
Dunno how their phone packages stack up though in comparison to others.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
Virgin Media do offer the option to limit calls to geographical ones only - but the option costs £1.75 per month.

Amazing what some companies get away with charging for. I believe some companies still charge for caller display too.
I wouldn't be using Virgin for phone connection. The only reason I would choose Virgin in this case is because of the option to have broadband without a phone line.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

PlusNet charge for caller display....
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Plusnet (and any other company resellering BT's phone package) get charged for Caller Display.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
PlusNet charge for caller display....

Do they? Looks like the time to move my own home phone from BT to PN has not arrived yet. PN might be the best for broadband, but much as I dislike BT it looks like they still have the edge for phones.