cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Line & Slow Internet...

mkay1963
Dabbler

Bad Line & Slow Internet...

OK for the past few weeks I've had a crackly, noisy phone line and slowing down of broadband. But now it's really bad. I can't hear what people are saying during phone calls and the internet cuts off completely when the phone rings. When it is working it is so slow that 'speedtest.net' just gives a 'LATENCY TEST ERROR' .

Please help.

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Bad Line & Slow Internet...

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your line.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for this so I've raised a ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186519830 on your account with steps you can take to progress this as a fault.

If you can let us know over here once you've added a reply to the above ticket we'll be happy to pick this up again as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Been there, my sympathies! Call your phone provider and report the crackly line as a voice fault, if BT call the fault line 150. It's probably a bad connection and your BB will probably be OK once the line is fixed. Good luck!

mkay1963
Dabbler

OK I don't have a master socket, I really don't. I need an engineer to call because the fault is not indoors.

Thanks.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mkay1963

Should you wish to us to book an engineer we would just need a reply to this ticket with the information requested. 

Give us a shout on here once you have done this and we can progress forward accordingly. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

mkay1963
Dabbler

Answered...

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Good morning @mkay1963, thanks for your response.

On further testing this morning, I've detected what's known as a 'High Resistance Imbalance' on your line. This essentially means that somewhere down the line (exact location as yet undetermined) something is causing (electrical) resistance, which is in turn interfering with the signal coming through. This is likely the cause of the issues you're experiencing.

I've raised the issue to BT Wholesale, who we work with on broadband faults, who advise me that at this stage they believe the fault to be external to your premises and so hopefully we won't need to book an inconvenient home visit in.

You'll receive updates over the next 3 working days and if we do need to progress to an actual visit, we'll let you know.

If you do need anything else at all in the meantime, please drop us another message.

NB: You'll receive a fault ticket shortly, no action is required from you as yet.

mkay1963
Dabbler

An engineer called Thursday evening, checked the phone and said its outside. Phoned Friday lunch time to say he's still working on it. I've heard nothing since and the line is still bad and I've got no internet at all at the moment.

Any news please.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @mkay1963

Thanks for getting in touch - I'm sorry that this is taking longer than we anticipated. I can see that my colleague updated your ticket on Monday with an update here.

As soon as we know more. we'll add the information to that ticket.

Thanks for your patience whilst we get this sorted.

Best wishes

Dave

mkay1963
Dabbler

Okay thanks for that. That's as clear as mud. I think I'll wait for a reply on here...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries.

We'll update you next week when we'll have more news on the traffic management our suppliers are arranging.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mkay1963
Dabbler

Thanks to everyone. All fixed now....

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That's great to see, thanks a lot for letting us know. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team