cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background noise on line.

richards2

Background noise on line.

For some time now there has been a noise on my line, somewhere between a hiss and a mid-frequency undulating noise (sorry, can't describe it better). My neighbour (not with Plusnet) has noticed it also. People I call have noticed it too, although it is not as loud for them. The line tests OK. As I am hard of hearing, this causes me problems on quiet calls. I am several miles from the exchange, and both speech volume and broadband speed are quite low. Any ideas, anyone?

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Background noise on line.

@richards2 

Have you reported this as a phone, not broadband fault?

With respect to call volume I would recommend that you buy a new phone. Most cordless phones come with both a volume control and a hands free loudspeaker mode.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

richards2

Hi Baldrick1,

Thanks for your reply. I have several phones. Volume is low on all of them, but the main problem is the noise. I have tried several phones on the master socket, and the noise is present on all of them. I haven't been able to speak to anyone due to long waiting times. Can I report this on line or by E-Mail?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@richards2 

You can’t report ia fault by email.

Have you done the official quiet line test by plugging a wired phone in and ringing 17070 then selecting Option 2?

Have you gone through the procedure here then moved on to the troubleshooter, which I believe automatically raises a fault if it finds a problem?  https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

richards2

Thanks. I've done that . the noise is still present on quiet line. Line test reports OK. I suppose most people with normal hearing just accept the noise. It seem impossible to speak with anyone now.