Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT vs. Plusnet Tariffs

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

BT vs. Plusnet Tariffs

Currently I have Plusnet broadband and BT telephone.  With BT I pay a monthly tariff of £19.29 for their Unlimited Anytime plan, a further £0.99 a month for Friends and Family International, which gives cheaper international calls but get a £1.25 discount for paperless billing so the total is £19.03 per month.  On top of this I still have to pay for calls to mobile phones, premium rate numbers and the reduced rate international calls.   By the way, I'm on a Market 1 exchange so pay top whack for my broadband and miss out on all the best broadband and phone deals.
It looks to me with the Plusnet Talk Anytime plan I would pay £16.99 per month (from January) and save on international calls by virtue of the 300 free minutes (although calls would be more expensive once the 300 minutes is used up).  So I would be saving £2.04 per month in line rental + package and a few pounds in international calls.
Is there a catch or should I switch?  
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT vs. Plusnet Tariffs

Do you use Caller Display as that is an extra on Plusnet
If you want the free international calls that is the older package whose price isn't reducing but you will get the 25% discount on the new package
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Oldjim, but can you explain a little more about the old and new package.  I find the Plusnet website quite confusing, perhaps because things are changing.  I've never used caller display as I thought that was an extra on BT also.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: ReedRichards
I've never used caller display as I thought that was an extra on BT also.

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/btprivacy/faqs/index.html
1. What is BT Privacy at Home?
BT Privacy at Home gives you FREE Caller Display so long as you continue to make some calls with BT. For more details, click 'Caller Display' in the search box above.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So Talk Anytime (at £5 a month) is being replaced by (Talk) Anytime at £3.50 on 4th January 2011.  I can register an interest in the new package but I can't find anything that tells me the difference between this new package and the old one with the same name!  Is this designed to confuse?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you read http://community.plus.net/vat_faq/ ?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes, I have read that FAQ repeatedly and I must surely be have been very stupid because I have only, finally, found that the new Talk Anytime product replaces the 300 free minutes of international calls with no free international minutes but 25% off the call charge.  It seems if I like the old product I must act quickly and sign up before 4th January, but it is not clear if customers signed up for the old product will be allowed to continue on it indefinitely. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

bit difficult to know, I am on a legacy phone product which gives me 240 mins any time for just the line fee, and have been on that for several years, it suits me as I also get 500 mins on my mobile from my home location
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ReedRichards,
[quote=ReedRichards]it is not clear if customers signed up for the old product will be allowed to continue on it indefinitely.
[quote=FAQ's]request an account change to our existing Talk Anytime package. This must be requested *before* midnight on the 4th January. The existing Talk Anytime product offers 300 included minutes to the top 20 international destinations, and will continue to do so after the changes on the 4th January
I think indefinitely is an awful long time but I'd think it would be safe to say for the foreseeable future.
Jojo Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Oh dear, it seems like I am too late.  The option to sign up to (what its still) the current Talk Anytime plan isn't there any more.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

looking at the announcement about this I think you might still be OK  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91211.352.html  page 23
jelv
Seasoned Hero

See the update to http://community.plus.net/vat_faq/#9