cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT to Plusnet transfer

drw
Grafter

BT to Plusnet transfer

I initiated a transfer yesterday, today received a Voice SMS from BT to call an 0800 number - the retention team.
Points raised by BT retainer - I stand a 50% chance of losing my telephone number  - reason given it is  owned by BT - I thought numbers went with the subscriber.
They tried to tell me that PLusndet Anytime did not give me free 0845 numbers - according to PN web site they do
Final try - was a package of Free anytime calls and line rental for £16.50 per month - this comes a bit cheaper than PN. I also see that there is one category of call that PN do not cover in the Anytime offer that BT do.
So Time to think ......
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: BT to Plusnet transfer

Hiya,
It's extremely unlikely we won't be able to keep your phone number.
You get free calls to 0845 (internet and indirect access numbers excluded) on that are under 60 minutes on Anytime.
I think someone has been telling porkies.
drw
Grafter

Thanks James -
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
I think someone has been telling porkies.

Otherwise known as "Standard BT retention tactics" Wink
BryanP
Grafter

I transferred from BT to Plusnet my anytime package13 months ago and have not had a problem and I pay Plusnet a lot less than what BT charges
Razer
Grafter

I don't know, BT will do anything to keep customers that it is losing to itself.
peterfleet
Grafter

I want to switch phone from BT to PN and at the same time upgrade my PN Fibre Value to Unlimited starting from 5 January 2013. My BT one year line rental contract expires on that date. Is there a PN link or source that can tell me if this is feasible and whether this date is realistic from  PN and BT? Or do I have to do this in stages by first switching the BT phone to PN phone and then upgrading the PN fibre product afterwards? I want to end up with the PN fibre and phone package. Sorry if I have asked this question in the wrong part of the forum.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It shouldn't be an issue, you can upgrade your account and request to move the phone service via the product change link in the member's centre - the account change will take place on your next billing date and the order to transfer the phone should be placed once we receive the request - so it'd be best to wait until the new year to request it as we don't want the move to take place before your contract is up.
If you're wanting fibre too we'd probably need to place that order separately to the phone, but transfers of existing BT lines is not a particularly long or tricky process.
Just checked with our provisioning team and even if the order was placed now we wouldn't be able to get the line transferred before then due to the holidays, and we'd place the fibre order and get that completed before bringing the phone in. Hope that sounds sensible?
peterfleet
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify. You suggest I place an order now to PN to transfer my Bt line phone service on or after 5 January 2013 to PN and on the same order for PN to upgrade my PN Fibre value (whose 18 month contract period has expired) to PN Unlimited Fibre? My aim is to bring the broadband and phone calls and line rental into one PN package ( Unlimited fibre Broadband and calls).
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep - if you log in to our website and run through the product change tool it'll let you sort both at once Smiley Thanks very much!
peterfleet
Grafter

Order placed. Let's hope BT cooperate. BTW I found no opportunity on the PN product update tool to specify the line saver rental option. I guess I will have to request this after PN have set up the phone service.
I suggest that the process to do this is made clear on this tool please.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Noted, and great idea - thanks (yes that is the case by the way). I'll put this one forward for you.
mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi guys. I am also transferring my phone line to PN but can you tell me if I have to advise my existing provider that I am moving my line to PN? Or does PN do all the work?
Thanks and sorry for butting in Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In theory no BUT once it has happened let them know just in case
mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks Jim, will do