cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT engineer is a no-show - it's my 'word against the engineer's'

Didserella
Dabbler

BT engineer is a no-show - it's my 'word against the engineer's'

I placed my order exactly for a new line and broadband four weeks before BT were due to put the line in (I was told by Plusnet that no companies get priority over others).
They were due last Friday (14th) between 1pm and 6pm. I took time off work and waited in, and my landlord who lives next door also waited in. The engineer didn't show - no phone calls, no messages. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised from BT - particularly on a Friday afternoon!
When I called Plusnet, they reported that the engineer said they'd been to the house and 'couldn't gain access' and that they left a card. They clearly did neither - visit the house, or leave a card - and I am livid.
Plusnet had the cheek to tell me that it's my 'word against the engineer's'! If I give them the benefit of the doubt that BT turned up and left a card, then they left it at the wrong house. Why should I pay for their mistake?
The best Plusnet can do is get it re-booked for Tuesday 26th, making it four weeks that I've been living in the property without a phone or broadband. To make it worse there is no mobile signal with my usual provider so I've spent a fortune on pay-as-you go with a different one to try to sort this out. I'm self-employed and it will cost me another half day's pay to be there on Tuesday, and I have to get the time/day agreed by the company I contract for, as well as my landlord who wants to supervise where the line is placed. Not to mention the fact that I will have paid Plusnet for services which I won't have been able to use for four weeks!
I vowed I'd never use BT again but unfortunately it seems you can't get away from them entirely as the country seems to rely on their engineers.
I was pleased with Plusnet's service until now, but they just haven't been prepared to put the pressure onto BT over this. I am your customer so the buck stops with you unfortunately Plusnet, and I will be complaining formally. BT must be held to account for their poor service. It was suggested by Plusnet that I make my complaint to them after the line has been put in. I don't think that I need to point out that the incentive for all parties, other than me, will have evaporated by then!
5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT engineer is a no-show - it's my 'word against the engineer's'

Quote from: Didserella
it's my 'word against the engineer's'!

It would appear to be your word AND your landlords against the engineers. A good case for compensation as the engineer was clearly lying if your account is true and accurate.
You claim against whoever you ordered your phone service from; it's not clear if that was BT Retail or PlusNet.
The installation side of BT (Openreach) are not accessible to you anyway, it's your phone provider that are responsible.
If that is PlusNet it has been discussed elsewhere that the PN management of the KNOWN shortcomings of Openreach seem to be inadequate to meet reasonable customer expectations.  Cry
itsme
Grafter

Openreach vehicles are fitted with GPS trackers so the Engineer manager can see if the van had gone near to the premises. 
Didserella
Dabbler

@HPSauce - thanks for your reply. I am a Plusnet customer. Ironically I moved to them to get away from previous bad experiences with BT! I will ask for compensation, though it's the implication by BT that I am at fault that makes me equally cross as the inconvenience. I won't be allowing Plusnet to pass the buck.
@itsme - thank you for that information. I didn't know that, but it has just gone into my formal complaint message and I feel much better.  Smiley
Good luck to anyone else out there who has a line installed.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Didserella,
Apologies that you have had such a bad start. It doesn't sound or look good.
We initially have to go on the engineers notes and from what I can see, my colleagues that you have spoken with have been stating your case to our suppliers regarding this.
I have noticed that your installation is booked for the 25th September between 1pm - 6pm and not the 26th September.
Is the date suitable for you?
I will monitor you appointment and make sure this does go ahead. Also ensuring they have all the information they need to attend and complete your installation.
You will not be charged for service's that you have not had, I will refund any monies owed to you once we have the install complete.
Chris

Didserella
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your message.
Sorry - that was a typo - the 25th September is what I'd been advised.
This afternoon I had a call from Plusnet to say that although the case had been rejected when it was first escalated, it seems that today it has been accepted, and an appointment has been made for tomorrow afternoon for the line to be installed. I still have to wait for the broadband engineer next Tuesday, meaning another afternoon away from work. At least I will have a phone line from tomorrow if all goes according to plan.
Thank you, I appreciate that you are able to refund me for the services I haven't had.
I look forward to being able to report that the installation went well....