Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT announce cost increases for phone customers

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

BT announce cost increases for phone customers

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/19/bt_rise/  
BT will lean on its home phone customers as it staggers out of the recession with a 10 per cent rise in daytime call rates.
From the beginning of October the cost of connecting a call will rise from 9.9 pence to 10.9 pence, with charges for each subsequent minute rising from 5.9 pence to 6.4 pence.
At the same time line rental will be increased by 50 pence per month, to £13.29 per month (£12.04 with email billing).
BT Retail is writing to subscribers this week to warn of the hike. They will be given the option of partly avoiding the higher charges by paying a year's line rental up front.
The firm said half of its customers won't be affected by higher call rates, as they subscribe to inclusive daytime packages.
40 REPLIES 40
magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: BT announce cost increases for phone customers

BT will lose even more customers and quite rightly so , due to not being competetive, seems putting up prices expecting remaining customers to pay more , so that BT's overall profits are the same  with fewer customers  is  boardroom policy
Unfortunately we do not have real competition in the uk, just Cartels, BT are too expensive.
I'd advise those who can , to look for better deals

magnetism2772
Grafter

I'm told we are in a recession,  hence this awful governments  rush  to start two year pay freezes for 40% of the UK workforce( those in the public sector) I still cant find these ten million tory business voters who voted for cameron
we have zero  rates of interest and low inflation , yet ordinary people are expected to find 10% more money in  increases to give to BT
when the public has already payed for all its infrastructure, add  to that the government increase  in VAT reaching to 20% which comes in Jan next year
Rip - off -  Britain
if BT ask me for more I shall send them a reply and
dump my home phone and this time buy a mobile and go onto a pay as you go scheme
magnetism2772
Grafter

that includes plusnet
I've agreed on a deal and a price for a  year, if the price of that deal increases during its period, I shall cancel as it will be a change of contract
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: magnetism2772
that includes plusnet

I'm not sure what our stance on this is at present.
I've agreed on a deal and a price for a  year, if the price of that deal increases during its period, I shall cancel as it will be a change of contract

If we ever need to make a detrimental change to customers' contracts then we normally notify everybody; at the very least we allow a customer the option of waiving any contractual terms (excluding deferred activation/hardware costs).
Regardless, I'll endeavour to find out if this announcement affects us in any way and report back as soon as I know more...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

magnetism2772
Grafter

Cheeky BT , I've been dumping your spam offerings for phone products and Internet  arriving at my home for years
If plusnet's monthly line rental is going to increase in line with BT,
I shall be quicky moving or going without its offerings
in valuation  of BT's propositions of increases I shall prepare fast  exit contingency  plans specific to BT  BT(Tier 1) and Plusnet  BT(Tier 2)
due to  various situational factors , importantly  the recession in our country  , thumbs down to  your increases , yes its a no decision,  your not my favourite .
magnetism2772
Grafter

thanks Bob
for giving folk  on plusnet the  foreward opportunity to leave this negative constantly  redefining company
magnetism2772
Grafter

If we ever need to make a detrimental change to customers' contracts then we normally notify everybody; at the very least we allow a customer the option of waiving any contractual terms (excluding deferred activation/hardware costs).

in matters of uncertainty
I and others would  need to contact the regulatory authority  and identify  who would owe who and what  from their specific responses
magnetism2772
Grafter

but for certain I am one who will not pay BT increases
and if plusnet follow, I will look to a breach of contract
magnetism2772
Grafter

that covers all my costs
magnetism2772
Grafter

Experience demonstrates that rather than BT refinancing itself on the
open market its response is to increase its charges
its not sufficient ,so now we have telecom' regulators like otelo and ofcom who state to act on behalf of customers
hopefully they can make any switches easier and cost free so that people do not have a disruption of services  
if BT's monetary increases plan spills over to the plusnet internet contract
magnetism2772
Grafter

I refer you to OFCOM's General Conditions of Entitlement under the General Authorisation Condition 9 and 9.3 which bind you: “9.3 where the Communications Provider intends to modify a condition in a contract with a Consumer which is likely to be of material detriment to the Consumer, the Communications Provider shall: (a) provide the Consumer with at least one month's notice of it's intention detailing the proposed modification; and (b) inform the Consumer of the ability to terminate the contract without penalty if the proposed modification is not acceptable to the Consumer.”
Any attempt to impose them on me without allowing a penalty free right to cancel is unfair and against OFCOM guidance, which states: “Any kind of variation clause may in principle be fair if consumers are free to escape its effects by ending the contract. To be genuinely free to cancel, they must not be left worse off for having entered the contract, whether by experiencing financial loss (for example, forfeiture of a prepayment) or serious inconvenience, or any other adverse consequences.”
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you have to make so many post, cant you think first then do a simpler post, some of the last few I cant even understand what you are getting at
seven in less than two hours
magnetism2772
Grafter

There's nothing more restful than taking orders from fools
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: magnetism2772

Any attempt to impose them on me without allowing a penalty free right to cancel is unfair and against OFCOM guidance, which states: “Any kind of variation clause may in principle be fair if consumers are free to escape its effects by ending the contract. To be genuinely free to cancel, they must not be left worse off for having entered the contract, whether by experiencing financial loss (for example, forfeiture of a prepayment) or serious inconvenience, or any other adverse consequences.”

Bob's already stated that if we make any changes that affect terms and conditions we'll give notice and offer this.
f we ever need to make a detrimental change to customers' contracts then we normally notify everybody; at the very least we allow a customer the option of waiving any contractual terms (excluding deferred activation/hardware costs).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.