nadger
Rising Star

BT Price Increase

37 REPLIES 37
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: BT Price Increase

BT said that many of its customers had actually seen their call costs fall because they had moved on to specific packages.

And they will see further falls when they move off telecoms altogether Tongue
For many people a further rise in telecom costs will be a rise too far and will be dumping BT meaning less income for BT and a subsequent price increase to offset the loses...catch 22.
For most people a personal telephone service of some sort has changed from a luxury to a daily necessity.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nadger
Rising Star

For me buying a package isn't of any use so I use 18185 for any daytime calls and urgent calls to mobiles.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I used to be on the "free" e&w/e package, on a 12 month rolling contract. (I put free in "'s because it was a 12month contract) and used 18185 for the odd call during the day to 0845 etc. (I DON'T call mobiles at all!  Smiley Not having any kids I don't need to  8))
If we could get BB without line rental then I would drop the phone all together and just use my voip one for the odd call.
Ellis
Grafter

I've had an account with 18866 (Swiss company with calls operated from Luxembourg) for several years. If charges get too high I shall start using them again.
thejudge
Rising Star

Not only that, but the vermin have put up their rip-off "Payment Processing Charge" from £4.50 a quarter to £5.40 (20% increase)! And this is for paying online, which surely incurs no cost to them at all!  Angry
I'd switch my phone to PN as well if I could get my head around what I would be paying and for what exactly...  Undecided
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Put simply the 14.45% increase over a year is inexcusable and the telecommunications regulator is doing a very poor job. Unfortunately as PN is part of BT it is unlikely that we'd be protected from the price increase if we used their telephony service.
Fortunately there are alternatives to BT's over-priced services and we already use them.  A one minute (out of plan) UK phone call to a land line  on Skype costs 4.9 pence whereas the equivalent BT call  will cost 21.05 pence. On Sipgate.co.uk the same call costs 1.19 pence with no monthly subscription.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

and how does BT prices compare with VirginMedia?
Isawitall
Grafter

I was paying virginmedia 40 a month ,free weekend calls only. 12.midnight friday to 12 midight sunday what a con !
Trouble was i had to have their tv package as well. They never told me i was paying for the broadband XXL package (i had signed up to Broaband  L )
12 months later and i was out of it  Smiley
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
A one minute (out of plan) UK phone call to a land line  on Skype costs 4.9 pence whereas the equivalent BT call  will cost 21.05 pence. On Sipgate.co.uk the same call costs 1.19 pence with no monthly subscription.

You may not be aware, but when I used Skype some years ago, it was possible to have a terminating number on a London exchange (02) for £30 per year. So it was not necessary to have a BT line for incoming calls. Of course, the 18866 service operates over BT lines.
nadger
Rising Star

I see that TalkTalk are following suit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14764551
mwerle
Grafter

I really wish it would be possible to get *DSL-based internet without needing to pay for a completely superfluous telephone line.  I'd rather the voice frequencies could be used by the modem to give me additional bandwidth!
Seriously, can anybody enlighten me as to why one requires an active voice line just to get DSL?Huh
itsme
Grafter

Naked DSL service, excluding SDSL, is not available in the United Kingdom, but it is possible to get a POTS and DSL from different service providers.[citation needed]. The incumbent network, BT, has claimed there is not sufficient demand from ISPs to provide a Naked DSL service.[5][6] Virgin Media provides broadband services without the requirement for a telephone line in cabled areas only, but this is not naked DSL as the service is provided via a coaxial cable from the street, rather that over a telephone line, active or otherwise.

Wonder in PN keep records of the number of naked dsl request are made?
nadger
Rising Star

I could be interested if PN were to offer a nicely reduced annual up front phone line fee.
Petard
Rising Star

AlaricAdair & Ellis: 21p for a one-minute call via BT? That's astonishing! Especially given that one could make the same call for 8p from a mobile (Tesco's PAYG 'Lite' tariff) or less.
It might be worth considering PN's own Broadband Phone (SIP) service – 1p/m or 1.5p/m to a UK landline, depending on time of day, with no connection charge, and a free inbound number (for which Skype now charge ~£40/y), though one does have to make calls every month to keep it. I find I'm using this more and more – partly because the 3CX softphone (a free download) is slick at recording calls to companies who are giving me grief!