Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Hikes call rates for 3rd time

14 REPLIES 14
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: BT Hikes call rates for 3rd time

AND the line rental is going up as well. Makes you wonder if they want to LOOSE customers  Crazy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

They're pushing everyone to inclusive packages; have been for ages, just not sure why. Crazy
Javert
Grafter

Wonder how long it will be before PlusNet follows . . ?
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Simples! Getting customers to sign long contracts with inclusive services allows their Sales accounting to claim the total revenue fot the contract period and boost their Bonus.
Now, extend that thought to how you could present that on the P&L and Balance sheet and you can see why the Board would condone it.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Where is OFCOM when all this prices are announced? This could mean the difference to life and death for elderly or disabled people who cannot afford these rip off prices.
Simon_M
Grafter

OFCOM are complaining about long contracts with automatic renewal for equally long periods - those that only allow you one chance a year to escape. That was the main reason I moved my house phone to Plusnet.
I believe there are moves afoot to ensure that companies are barred from counting all the revenue from a long contract in the period it was signed. It must be spread over the length of the contract. I seem to remember some major company having to re-state it's accounts for this reason, but can't remember who it was. Not telecoms, I don't think, may have been a defence contractor.
glloyd
Rising Star

With all the modern technology prices should be coming down not going up. Is it no wonder BT retail are shedding thousands of jobs when they appear to be going all out to lose customers. Trouble is the other Telcos will see this as a way to boost proffits and put their prices up as well.
What we need in rip off Britian (but of course it won't happen) is a completely independant line provider that can take on BT. Although having said that with progress in higher speed  WiFi it may happen.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Hairy
.... Makes you wonder if they want to LOOSE customers  Crazy
The word you need is 'lose'. Loose means slacken or free. Perhaps your slip is not that inappropriate, though! Wink
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: glloyd
What we need in rip off Britian (but of course it won't happen) is a completely independant line provider that can take on BT.
IF I had the funds I would take them on for sure.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: glloyd
With all the modern technology prices should be coming down not going up. Is it no wonder BT retail are shedding thousands of jobs when they appear to be going all out to lose customers. Trouble is the other Telcos will see this as a way to boost proffits and put their prices up as well.

The problem with modern technology is it uses power and the cost of electricity is going up. Has BT given a reason for the increase? I would have thought the increase in electricity prices would be a legitimate one. 
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Yes, but I think that a more likely excuse/reason is the large sums of money being spent upgrading the infrastructure.
glloyd
Rising Star

With the massive profits BT made and have made that should be used for improved infrastructure.
AlaricAdair
Champion

Add to this the increased cost of "services" like incoming caller Id and you start to see the true cost of BT. They've even tried to charge me an extra £7.50 a quarter for "Low Usage" on one of my BT lines. The line just happens to be a disaster recovery standby line which thank fully rarely receives/transmits any calls.I soon had an apology and a refund from them.
BT will continue to raise consumer prices as long as the great British public let them get away with it. There are alternative services as Vonage and Skype which provide much cheaper calling if you have a reasonable broadband connection. There is also the PlusNet telephony services, though their international call rates are not attractive (they must buy them from BT). Unless more people start telling BT to get lost the prices will continue to spiral way above the rate of inflation. I mean putting this rejection in writing and verbal forms whenever BT marketers try to sell you their latest "package".
Alaric
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
AJK

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Add to this the increased cost of "services" like incoming caller Id and you start to see the true cost of BT. They've even tried to charge me an extra £7.50 a quarter for "Low Usage" on one of my BT lines. The line just happens to be a disaster recovery standby line which thank fully rarely receives/transmits any calls.I soon had an apology and a refund from them.
BT will continue to raise consumer prices as long as the great British public let them get away with it. There are alternative services as Vonage and Skype which provide much cheaper calling if you have a reasonable broadband connection. There is also the PlusNet telephony services, though their international call rates are not attractive (they must buy them from BT). Unless more people start telling BT to get lost the prices will continue to spiral way above the rate of inflation. I mean putting this rejection in writing and verbal forms whenever BT marketers try to sell you their latest "package".
Alaric

Just thought I’d mention that Caller ID is free on BT when you register for their free BT Privacy at Home service, providing you continue to make some calls with BT. We’ve had that for free for a long time.