cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Fault advice

ID
Grafter

BT Fault advice

We have had some severe weather here in the Midlands yesterday which killed one of my TP-Link powerline adaptors (connected to my 585v8 in the Hall. The other end goes to a Blu-Ray player) and my old Belkin router which I use as a switch upstairs.
Got a text from my uncle tonight to say he couldn't get through on the landline. We can make calls out fine and the broadband (with Plusnet) is actually syncing a fraction higher even though the attenuation has risen from 32.5 to 33db. I normally sync at ~7968-8032. It is now at the full 8128 but with more errors than normal. I usually get about 750 CRC errors a day.
I have tried a corded phone in the test socket and still couldn't receive calls. We only have the master socket in the Hall which has a BT filtered face plate.
The problem is BT are insisting the fault is within the property and we will be charged £99.
Is there anything else I can do before the engineer arrives on Tuesday to make 100% sure we won't be charged this?
BB stats for info:
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime:0 days, 1:02:50
DSL Type:G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode:Fast
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,160 / 8,128
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:832 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:0.00 / 17.86
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:15.5 / 33.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:15.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):13 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):253 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):297 / 675
HEC Errors (Up/Down):250 / 2,168

Any advice welcome!
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: BT Fault advice

Quote from: ID
Is there anything else I can do before the engineer arrives on Tuesday to make 100% sure we won't be charged this?

When your number is rung does the caller hear a ring tone? If they don't, unplug everything, including taking the face plate off to expose the test socket. If the caller still can't hear a ring tone it's definitely external.
If the caller does hear a ring tone take your phone to a neighbour/friend and confirm it rings on an incoming call (in case that has been damaged in some way).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ID
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply!  Smiley
Will give that a go in the morning. When I ring from my mobile it sounds one ring (on the mobile) and then gives lots of bleeps and the message on my mob says 'network busy'
Will update in the morning.
Thanks again.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Might also be worth a try with the faceplate off and the telephone plugged direct into the test socket behind?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: ID
I have tried a corded phone in the test socket and still couldn't receive calls

Roll_eyes
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Derp!  Embarrassed
[note to self - read the whole thread properly]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ID
Grafter

@ jelv: Tried your suggestion this morning and it is exactly the same. Pretty confident now there isn't much else I can do. Thanks again for your advice.
@ walker23: No worries. I do that all the time. Thx for trying to help though.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just a thought, have you a spare filter that wasn't connected when the storm hit? Plugging into the Test socket proves that it's either exchange or the NTE5 faulty, but it's just possible that the filter your phone was plugged into got blown as well as the master NTE5 if it's not an exchange fault. If you plug the phone into another filter and see if it rings that may prove things one way or another. If it works, check you normal arrangement again as it could have been an exchange problem affecting multiple customers and has since been fixed.
Edit & Highlighting added
ID
Grafter

I didn't try another filter. I just plugged the corded phone (which I keep in the cupboard for testing purposes) direct into the test socket. I've got dozens of spare filters so I will give it a bash tomorrow.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

No need - if it doesn't work without any filter it's not the filter.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You've missed the point jelv, both NTE5 and the filter in use could have been blown by static, plugging straight into the test socket will not work if the ring capacitor is damaged (o/c) or the 470K resistor has gone low. Plugging in via a working filter may prove it one way or another (although how much ringing current you may get it if the 470K is low is obviously debatable).
ID
Grafter

No good.
Saw BT man outside today.He was attempting to fix the couple over the road. They got a direct lightning hit to their overhead cable (fried a couple of their phones, router and the PC's m/b and graphics card  Shocked ). Ours is underground but he said theirs feeds back to a junction box by us and is very likely the reason for our fault.
Thanks for everyones suggestions!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Blimey, hope it gets sorted soon. Have you reported a fault on it? If not that might be the best way to raise attention to the issue, unless of course the engineer you saw got things sorted. Either way if it isn't fixed yet I hope it's done soon for you.
ID
Grafter

Good news! BT man who I spoke to Sunday came today to fix it. There was no signs of damage to the master socket but replacing it sorted out the problem. Best of all there will be no charge Smiley
My sync on the broadband was 7936 when he left so I wont get my 7mb profile back but you can't have everything can you  Tongue
There was about 6 BT vans on our road today (It's a very small village) so it looks like it took quite a few lines out.
Thanks again for everyones help on a non-plusnet issue!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fantastic news, glad it's sorted (especially given it's sorted without any charges to yourself Smiley )