cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Cancel DD

nadger
Rising Star

BT Cancel DD

Made final payment to BT today and see that they then cancelled their own DD.
Altogether a very smooth transaction  Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
greyposter
Grafter

Re: BT Cancel DD

I owe £5.20,awaiting bill.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

BT didn't cancel our DD and neither did I initially, so they could pay the refund we were due into my current account where the DD was always taken from.
I was NOT impressed that they chose instead to send a cheque made out to my husband for the £30+ owing. Cheek of it! They charge customers extra if they don't use DD and then they don't use it themselves. I know refunds can be processed that way as I received a payment (dual fuel and DD discount) from our power supplier last year. BT's action meant I had to leave for work early one day in order to visit my husband's bank and pay the cheque into his current account and then he gave me the refund in cash.
When I got home that evening, I went online and cancelled BT's DD with us.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
nadger
Rising Star

As I paid BT by quarterly DD there was never a credit amount - could explain why they listed final payment as such and cancelled DD.
Quite agree that incoming small cheques can be a pain ( will happily accept very large ones  ;))
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Ours was a fixed payment monthly DD and the refund was what we'd paid in advance for what was left of the quarter plus a small credit balance from the previous statement. Would have been a larger credit balance if they hadn't fleeced us 2 quarters for 1571 charges!
itsme
Grafter

This was sent to me last week by PN regarding payments for their referrals.
Recently we made some changes to the way we pay referrals bonus and monthly payments that exceed your subscription costs. Previously this was paid directly to your bank or to an active credit or debit card on your account. However, due to new banking rules, we have been forced to make many of these payments by cheque.

Perhaps BT could not do the refund directly to your bank account becasue of these new rules? Was BT payments coming out of your bank account but the BT account was in your husbands name?
coastergrotto
Grafter

According to BT my transfer to PlusNet Home Phone takes place tomorrow.   Their estimate shows I will owe them £5.79 which I calculate is the line rental from April 1st to the changeover date.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I thought that BT line rentals were paid in advance, not arrears, when I changed over I got a rebate
coastergrotto
Grafter

My last bill was dated 14th January 2008 - Bill period: 15 Oct 2007-14 Jan 2008.  There were no call charges are these were payable to TalkTalk.    Charges in Advance for line rental - Total £31.47 was for the period 1st January - 31st March.
As you can see not all the line rental was in advance.  Had I stayed with BT I would have received my bill last week, so things have worked out quite well for me.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: coastergrotto
As you can see not all the line rental was in advance.  Had I stayed with BT I would have received my bill last week, so things have worked out quite well for me.

I had a similar thing in that they delayed quarterly bill until line was transferred.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
This was sent to me last week by PN regarding payments for their referrals.
Recently we made some changes to the way we pay referrals bonus and monthly payments that exceed your subscription costs. Previously this was paid directly to your bank or to an active credit or debit card on your account. However, due to new banking rules, we have been forced to make many of these payments by cheque.

Perhaps BT could not do the refund directly to your bank account becasue of these new rules? Was BT payments coming out of your bank account but the BT account was in your husbands name?

Ah, that might explain it. Yes, the account was in his name (as they wouldn't let us put it in joint names) but the payments were always taken from my current account via DD.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I didn't get notification of replies to this thread.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I was paying my BT bill monthly so I had paid one month in advance and made a few calls. Viewing my bill online I saw that I had a credit balance of about £5 that will be taken off my next bill. But I am no longer their customer so there would be no next bill! Perhaps they hoped that I wouldn't notice. I rang 0800 800 150 and after navigating several menus got through within a few seconds to an agent (well done BT for that) who if the accent was anything to go by was UK based . She said that the refund would be sent by cheque but when I dropped into the conversation that I had been looking in my bank account for the past week for the refund she said that she could send the repayment directly to my bank instead. You would have thought direct to bank would have BT's first choice to minimise costs.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: alanf
You would have thought direct to bank would have BT's first choice to minimise costs.

Yes, especially as they penalise any customers who don't want to pay THEM by Direct Debit!