Did you mean: 

BT Call Protect

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BT Call Protect

@colintivy

You say:-

"I do have CLI but must recognize withheld numbers frequently used by NHS and Councils etc.,"

But in the last 20 months or so since buying my phones every legitimate caller has followed the correct procedure and got through to me whereas not a single nuisance caller has bothered.

I don't need to remember what are and are not legitimate numbers - my phone does that for me Smiley

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

As a quick query too those with BT 6500 phones

Does the base station work with none 6500 DECT handsets? Even if it only allows them to make and receive calls that would do. I have five DECT handsets scattered about the house, and don't particularly want to buy that many new handsets.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

Does the base station work with none 6500 DECT handsets? Even if it only allows them to make and receive calls that would do. I have five DECT handsets scattered about the house, and don't particularly want to buy that many new handsets.

I am not sure about that way round but when I bought my 8500 phones I paired one with my old BT 3010 phone that I used as a backup when my BT 7600 phones went faulty to see if it would synch the numbers across to save me having to enter them all again manually but it didn't synch the numbers.

When I tried to un pair it to pair it back with its correct base it took me ages as it said that I could not deregister it from the 3010 base and it would not let me register it with its correct base as it was paired to the old base.

I thought I was going to have to return the phones and say they were faulty, but after removing the batteries and putting them back in I was able to pair it.

Due to that problem I am reluctant to try and pair my old phone to my new base but if no one gives you a definitive answer in the next 24 hours I will risk trying it and let you know.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

@sandrataylor51

In view of the fact that the BT6500 and BT8500 (which you and I have) have different firmware it might not be a reliable test.

If it was me I'd go into a BT Shop and ask. They'll almost certainly give a stock answer (all Dect phones are compatible with one another) but if you make it clear that you are asking because an affirmative answer is of the essence in your coming to a decision to buy, then if the spare phone/s don't work they should take the new phone back.

At a basic level thephones should work that's not to say the features of the base station will be supported though.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@longedge  Until a decade or so ago I considered people young if they'd never dialled a number on an actual dial, or used a typewriter.  Now even people in their 30s have never used, or even seen, either.

@sandrataylor51  What about the white American who looks like a model but has a strong west African accent.  He's been in Africa on business for years now and his daughter keeps needing medical treatment for which he would be eternally grateful if you would pay.  You can easily identify him by his poor written English.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

@sandrataylor51  What about the white American who looks like a model but has a strong west African accent.  He's been in Africa on business for years now and his daughter keeps needing medical treatment for which he would be eternally grateful if you would pay.  You can easily identify him by his poor written English.

I nearly married him Grin

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

octxe01
Hooked

Call Protect

BT are introducing a free spam call blocker. Anyone know when  PlusNet is going to do the same as it's parent company, and, if not going to do so, why not?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Call Protect

We have no immediate plans to offer this feature

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
octxe01
Hooked

Well, that answer one half of the question.

robrant

Why?

When it's so clear that everyone needs this.

Plusnet is owned by BT who on Monday relased the 1572 service and the response from Plusnet is "We have no immediate plans to offer this feature"

I can't help feel I have a sub-standard service here.

Why?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Topics merged

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I'm glad that it is not what I have to rely on. I would long ago have run out of available slots in the 100 item blacklist and in the early months I would have been busy every day with it adding new entries. It's not a solution to the problem of nuisance callers as I see it.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Well this guy can blacklist a thousand as well as........ but have a read. Smiley

The BT 8500

BT8500 call blocking cordless phone

'This is the top dog when it comes to protecting your home from unwanted sales calls. For the 8500, BT paired up with Call Blocking experts, TrueCall, to make sure that their latest DECT phone will block 100% of nuisance calls. This is thanks to  BT Call Guardian; a new feature, which requires callers from unknown numbers to announce their name before being put through. After listening to the recorded message you can then decide whether or not to answer. It might still be a bit of a nuisance the occasions it happens but with the facility to block up to (a staggering) 1,000 numbers as well as calls from withheld and international numbers – you are pretty covered'

PS: Yes I have one and no, I do not work for BT. Wink

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Quite right robrant; BT have addressed issue, as they are responding to both a real customer need & fact these spoofed
number calls are increasing exponentially.
PN could consider as an £add on£ option.
sandrataylor51
Grafter

I wonder why they do not just make it impossible to withhold a phone number, even if it is an extension to an exchange it could still show the main number it is being called from.

That would eventually stop all the nuisance calls from within the UK, as we could report them and get them heavily fined if they continued to hassle people, and if they found out how to display which country the call came from, even if they could not display the full number, then people could just ignore any calls from countries that they were not expecting a call from.