Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Call Protect

orrery
Grafter

Re: BT Call Protect

@longedge wrote:

Just to be clear are you saying that you have the CLI add-on at 99p a month and that in spite of this calls from numbers which are not ex-directory or overseas fail to be identified?

Yes. Exactly that. These are calls that show no CLI but calling 1471 reveals the CLI.

I'm sure it is a line problem in that I've swapped phones over and connected back to the master socket but it still happens. I've swapped to FTTC and the problem persist. They've dug the grass verge up outside to improve the line, but still CLI issues.

Dealing with unwanted calls can be only be done properly at the exchange in that much of the information you need isn't passed to the consumer. It is a feature that all operators will be offering at some point in the future - why wouldn't PN want to get in as early as possible to gain commercial advantage? Indeed - I wouldn't be surprised if the regulator mandates this as a requirement at some point.

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@orrery wrote:

Dealing with unwanted calls can be only be done properly at the exchange

A major part of the unwanted calls come from overseas and I would imagine that call handling within the local exchange relies on the data passed to it by the forwarding country. That would surely be a limiting factor given the amount of genuine calls coming in from overseas you couldn't simply block them all.

I still firmly believe that whitelisting is the only effective measure and if that ever became available at exchange level I'd have to change my mind but for now I'm happy that I've got a system that works.

p.s. - as I said before I'd be complaining about the CLI if it were me but I'd document it very carefully for a time first, dates, times, numbers missing, time checked on 1471 etc.

hewian

Just joined the community to add my voice to those who think PN should adopt BT Call Protect or a similar service. I am sick of being woken up at the weekend by some spammer.

Why should I pay nearly £100 for new phones from BT to replace my 4 working phones? Would be cheaper to switch to BT when a suitable promotional offer comes up!

orrery
Grafter

@longedge wrote:

p.s. - as I said before I'd be complaining about the CLI if it were me but I'd document it very carefully for a time first, dates, times, numbers missing, time checked on 1471 etc.

It is a difficult one - I suspect this is one of those issues where an Openreach engineer will turn up and plug his test box in and say - sorry mate, it looks to be fine to me and this visit will be invoiced. I may give PN support a call and talk it over with them.

orrery
Grafter

@longedge wrote:

@orrery wrote:

Dealing with unwanted calls can be only be done properly at the exchange

A major part of the unwanted calls come from overseas and I would imagine that call handling within the local exchange relies on the data passed to it by the forwarding country. That would surely be a limiting factor given the amount of genuine calls coming in from overseas you couldn't simply block them all.

Yes, of course. The advantage of dealing with it at a national level (and implied by the BT press release) is that you can apply analysis algorithms to the call patterns, just as PN do with spam. Certainly, spoofed CLI would be easily dealt with.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

The top and bottom of the thing is that you could go on discussing until the cows come home what could, should or might happen. I had a problem, I found a solution and it's dealt with to my satisfaction (for now) Smiley.

sandrataylor51
Grafter

Unfortunately hewian   that would mean putting up with terrible customer service and difficulty understanding the people on the other end of the phone, who do not understand or speak English very well and who are incapable of doing anything other than following the script on the monitor in front of them and who probably know less about anything to do with telecoms or the internet than you do.

Added to that I am sure that as they come from the very countries that most of the scam calls are originating from, I suspect that a lot of them are passing their customer's numbers onto the people who call us at inconvenient times to try and screw us over and again going from their accents and poor quality command of the English language, they may be the ones who are actually making those same calls when they are not at their official day job.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

I find it a bit unfair to blame the operators when all these guys are doing is their job.

Some of them, in India especially, are highly educated and working for a rubbish company so I tend to cut them a bit of slack. As for their accents and poor quality command of the English language, try talking to somebody from Yorkshire! Wink 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Even though I have only had to speak to someone at PlusNet about 4 times in 18 months, instead of like on some days when I was with BT, as many times as that in the same day, I have only had to speak to the person who answered my call, could understand him perfectly and he was able to resolve the problem himself without telling me that I would have to call back some 7 hours or more later when someone was available to take my call in the UK or they had to pass me to another colleague who may speak better English or a supervisor as they did not know how to deal with the problem.

It may be a case of pay peanuts and get monkeys but I would rather spend less time on the phone and get results than be passed from person to person who does not know how to solve problems or how to speak English in a manner that anyone in England could understand.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I find that as the years have slipped by, my ability to understand accents that are not local to me continues to wane. Thank goodness I'm not far away from Sheffield and have no difficulty with a bit of Yorkshire Thumbs_Up

hewian

My post was to make a point about service capabilities and costs. Sorry if it provoked a rant about BT.

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Since I made the first comment a fortnight ago I have watched fellow members posts with interest.  At times we seem to veer off the original question but at the end of the day it appears that PlusNet have no intention of following where BT are leading.  Such a shame as we all have lines from BT.  Maybe they will come round to our way of thinking before too long - we live in hope.   I hope technology will allow the powers that be to source International numbers which the scammers are using and also those which come up as out of area as they are the ones which cause the problems. Blocking devices do just that but it is all the numbers and that is just not convenient. for many.

jordanc1230
Rising Star

To address the point about Plusnet offering the service why would BT let them? it's now one of their star products and should it be made aviliable to plusnet BT customers may jump ship and move to plusnet meaning BT get less money from us all. It's the same really as before when some people on here were asking if plusnet would offer the BT Smart Hub well of course they won't because it's one of the main products that they use to say they are the provider with the fastest and best wireless coverage they couldn't say that if plusnet offered it to. Same goes for BT Call Protect they couldn't claim it was exclusive to BT if they offered it to plusnet customers. Personally don't think BT Call Protect is advanced enough the BT 8600, 8610 & 4600 all offer much better technology such as call blocking, call screening & VIP Numbers (Also Aviliable with BT Call Protect at an additonal monthly cost). I've bought the BT 4600 as it offers all the features of the BT 8600 and has the handy extra feature of a special record button that allows you to record a live call for up to 60 minutes i got them manufacturer refurbished with 12 month warranty from Ebay for £29.99 for a twin set much cheaper than the extra amount it would cost me to move from Plusnet to BT just to get a feature which offers even less than the handsets.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Plusnet are now offering this service

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/plusnet-call-protect

It comes along with news of price increases and product changes

https://www.plus.net/#priceChange2017
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63