Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Call Protect

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: BT Call Protect

Problem with that @shutter is that you have to go to the phone in order to block them. My BT Call Guardian just intercepts all 'unknown' numbers and requests they leave a message. The genuine ones do of course whilst the unsolicited human or machine ones do not.  

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Minivanman    

@theoldandgrey  said...

Hi 

Is this facility available through Plusnet.  I am plagued with nuisance calls but can't use a normal call blocker because of surgery, hospital, bank  etc calls.

so he can`t use a call blocker... so I was suggesting an alternative way of doing it....

If calls remain unanswered, due to not being able to reach the phone in time... then eventually they will reduce in number...  as they get the "no reply"..   "waste of time"...

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Just as an aside to this - I recently had a little chuckle. My eldest grandson moved into his first house with his partner and they were getting everything set-up including the phone. He rang me to tell me he now had a home phone but he was still using the old rotary dial handset left behind by the last owner - leave a message then press the # key - errrrrr...... back to the mobile  Smiley

Linda2

Re: Call Protect service

I heard this on the radio this morning  and just had an online chat with Plusnet and he knew nothing about it

Very disappointed as we are getting several calls a day.

jrbray

With my BT 6500 spam calls don't ring the handsets, but the answerphone still kicks in and records the messages, does this happen to others?

I wish they were ignored completely, so would like the BT service here, clearly possibly as Plusnet are a subsidiary. I'd want the option of stopping voicemail recording completely, as to avoid building up an archive of junk.

"If its important, they will write"

John

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Maybe a "modern" handset would make a good house-warming present!

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Topics merged

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Yes I have been satisfied for a number of years but over the last few months these nuisance calls have become just that. We have a caller display phone but the calls are shown as number witheld, out of area or international call. None of them allow me to find the number. An answerphone is no use as they NEVER leave  a name, number or message. The BT system seems as though it would help matters which special phones or gadgets do not seem to do. Maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere but put that don to being a very senior user.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I get the impression that there is some confusion in this thread and just to clarify what I have been talking about - there are at least 3 different approaches/systems.

1. Call blocking by blacklist maintained externally e.g. by BT.

2. Call blocking by some phone telephones where a blacklist is created and maintained on user equipment by the user.

3. Call handling by some telephones (such as mine) which work from a whitelist and are configurable as to how they handle unknown callers.

Numbers 2&3 require 'Caller Line Identification' to be activated for which PlusNet charge 99pence per month. Not all of BT's blacklisting options require CLI (I'm not sure about which do and don't but know from experience that some are available that don't).

I have used all three at some time in the past and IMO only No. 3 is worth considering Smiley

p.s. "a very senior user" - well my 3 score and ten have gone now so I consider myself on borrowed time Roll_eyes

jjaycee1
Grafter

I too am plagued with replacement Boiler calls. The latest spoof actually uses erroneous UK numbers which are rarely the same number, plus erroneous mobile numbers. I have Caller ID and a Block Calls facility but the call numbers are too numerous. 

PN should be adopting a similar facility to BT Caller Protect from their parent company.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

@jjaycee1

The only thing that has ever worked reliably as far as I am cnopcerned has nothing to do with Plusnet or BT (apart from providing CLI). It is my own phone equipment that does the work.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We have no immediate plans to offer this feature I'm afraid

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

colintivy
Rising Star

I have also been suffering from the plague of callers (recorded) wanting me to dial 2 to speak to a human about replacing my boiler. If you do not do that and wait a bit, some then suggest that you dial 9 to have your number to be taken off their list! I have tried to do this several times and it seems to have reduced.the frequency of calls somewhat.

I do have CLI but must recognize withheld numbers frequently used by NHS and Councils etc.,

sandrataylor51
Grafter

I recently bought a pair of BT8600 phones with the call guardian feature on them.

Unfortunately I have noticed now that whenever James or Susan from Microsoft technical support, I think they are from the Microsoft Indian or Pakistan division judging by their accents,  they are no longer able to get hold of me to tell me that they have noticed that my computer is running slow and help me to get it running better.

Similarly that lovely Nigeria Prince who calls to ask if he can deposit several million pounds into my bank account has not been able to contact me either.

I am at a loss as to what to do now when my computer slows down again and when I am getting a bit short of cash as I can not add their numbers to the VIP list as they do not display their numbers and if I do not block with held numbers then I get some people, unlike James, Susan and my lovely Nigerian Prince, who try to take advantage of me by trying to get money out of me saying that I had an accident in my car or that I have been miss sold some PPI, even though I have not had an accident for over 40 years and have never taken out a loan. 

This is really worrying me as I do not know what to do for the best now and I do miss those conversations with James. Susan and my Nigerian Prince.   Cry