Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Call Protect

Anonymous
Not applicable

BT Call Protect

BT Call Blocker (it's Free)

BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls.

By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56986/~/bt-call-protect---how-to...-guide

87 REPLIES 87
theoldandgrey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: BT Call Protect

Hi 

Is this facility available through Plusnet.  I am plagued with nuisance calls but can't use a normal call blocker because of surgery, hospital, bank  etc calls.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@theoldandgrey

No

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

@theoldandgrey wrote:

Hi 

Is this facility available through Plusnet.  I am plagued with nuisance calls but can't use a normal call blocker because of surgery, hospital, bank  etc calls.

Get one of these... https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/the-new-bt8600/

You can whitelist all your known numbers.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

You need to have Caller Display for the BT8600 to work

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Richchad
Rising Star

Call Protect service

I see BT now have a new free service called Call Protect to block unwanted nuisance calls.

Any chance this will be available to Plusnet being part of BT?

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Sorry to hear that,I will now be thinking seriously about leaving after many, many years and I don't think I will be alone

AlaricAdair
Champion

One of the problems with call blockers is that some Government/Quango organisations can't be bothered to assign a caller line identity to their phone systems. It is not difficult to do this on a commercial level, we used to set it up so that each phone extension had its own DDI number, but a common CLI number such as the switchboard/reception. In that way people could contact the phone extension if they knew the right DDI number, but others would be directed through reception.

We use Sipgate Team VOIP phones. SPAM numbers can be blocked and number withheld go to voicemail. We also have a common CLI on our outgoing calls. Apart from the phone handsets there's no capital outlay, and there's no extra monthly charge for Spam blocking or incoming CLI. A bonus is call charges are lower with no dreaded "call setup" charge.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

My set of BT phones have proved 100% effective against nuisance callers. I don't consider what they do to be call blocking but rather call handling. They pass whitelisted numbers straight through and the phone rings. Unknown numbers be they a number that is not held in memory or a witheld/unavailable number hear an automated message inviting the caller to state their nam and business and then press #. The phone then rings (in a clearly recognisable different way) and when I pick up the phone, I hear what the caller has stated. I then proceed by pressing 1 or simply hang up or direct the call to the answerphone. All calls are held in the calls list and I normally see 2-3 calls a day which have not made it through and where people have just hung up. Calls from ex-d numbers which are genuine, e.g. my daughter from work, get through with minimal delay. That's how I have my phones set-up but they can also be configure in different ways e.g. unknown callers straight to answer phone.

It works and it costs me an extra 99pence a month for CLI. I have full control of what happens and don't have to rely on a remotely held blacklist.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Thankyou longedge for your detailed reply. Are your BT phones anything special like those mentioned elsewhere in this topic? I have ordinary Panasonic as I found reception better in our neck of the woods.  I am unsure whether the PN system you mentioned would work for my nuisance calls as they are mainly from abroad and  either ring off before reaching the answer phone, never giving a name if we do answer and get really agressive if the question is asked, or finally just don 't speak.

orrery
Grafter

Re: Call Protect service

... I'll second that request. This is a big issue for me.

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I have a quad set of BT8500 like these .

As I said, I do check my calls list most days and having done so clear it. It shows all incoming and outgoing calls whether they got through or not and most days there are numbers which, when I goggle them come up as nuisance/cold callers. They simply don't bother once they hear the message, I assume they realise that they are wasting their time from the outset and movbe straight on to the next victim.

Not sure what youmean by "special". In all other respects they are just dect phones and have exceptionally good coverage. My garden is just over 100 feet long and they work perfectly in the house and garden. Hope that helps.

Minivanman
Legend

I have BT8500 @theoldandgrey and it works perfectly. No nuisance calls at all now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Enhanced-Blocker-Cordless-Phone/dp/B00LZTHUEO

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@theoldandgrey wrote:

Sorry to hear that,I will now be thinking seriously about leaving after many, many years and I don't think I will be alone

Seems a bit drastic....

you have handled this problem for many, many years....... and because you have just found out that PN won`t be doing something that BT do...you decide you have to leave a service that you have obviously been satisfied with,....... until now...

If you have "caller display" on your phone, it should be fairly easy to visually block calls that you don`t recognise... have a card by the phone for your Hospital  doctors etc numbers... 

If you don`t have a "caller display phone" ... get one...  you will soon recognise numbers that come up repeatedly.. and you can check them out "online"    Just put the number into a google search box...  after ignoring those calls, they eventually stop calling, as they get a "no reply" answer back on their end...   answering them, gives them a "Gotcha"   ! so they then pass that on to others....