cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT 4600 Blocker Phone - Caller ID/1571 caller messages ?

FIXED
Davexxx
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

BT 4600 Blocker Phone - Caller ID/1571 caller messages ?

I bought a BT 4600 Advanced Call Blocker Phone earlier in the year, to be used in conjunction with a BT Vanguard 10 phone and my landline, but I am concerned that:

a) the BT 4600 is not correctly processing phones having a Caller ID - e.g., it displays 'No number' when my LG-H440n mobile is used to dial my landline number (presumably the LG-H440n should have a caller ID), whilst dialling BT 1471 returns the correct incoming phone number.

b) the BT 4600 is not processing callers wishing to leave a 1571 message whilst I am out - again dialling from the LG-H440n the BT 4600 just rings, after passing the BT 4600 inital screening message (NB the manual says "For BT 1571 do not set the answer delay to more than 5 rings.", and the BT 4600 answer delay is set to 5 rings)

BT 1571 works fine for incoming callers when the landline phone is engaged.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dave.

20 REPLIES 20
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: BT 4600 Blocker Phone - Caller ID/1571 caller messages ?

@Davexxx 

Reading between the lines you have two problems.

1- 1571 not recording calls when you are out.

Regardless of what the book says, I would guess that there’s a conflict between 1571 and the inbuilt answering machine kicking in at the same time. Try extending the in built answering machine to leave it ringing say 10 times before answering..

2. Caller display not working.

Have you activated it in your Plusnet account phone settings?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Davexxx
Rising Star

Many thanks.

1- 1571 not recording calls when you are out.

"Try extending the in built answering machine to leave it ringing say 10 times before answering." - no improvement for 10 rings

2. Caller display not working

It's not enabled, nor will the Plusnet web site allow it to be enabled, the current settings are:

Other Call Features (not included in our features bundle)

Caller Display <<< will not enable
    Anonymous Call
X   Voicemail
    Voicemail Extra
X   Plusnet Call Protect
    Call Barring

Davexxx
Rising Star

Apologies - correction:

2. Caller display not working - Request submitted, due for implementation tomorrow.

mrmitch85
Rising Star

I think I know what is happening.

The phone has the call blocking feature (similar to my phone) whereby the phone automatically answers the call after one ring, and asks the caller to leave their name.

Only then does your phone ring... And reads out the caller's name... You then press 1 if you want to accept the call? Is that right?

Because the phone is effectively answering the call, it's bypassing 1571 entirely. (Because as far as it is concerned, you've picked up the phone and are speaking to the caller).

It's working when the line is engaged because the call cannot be answered by the call blocker.

I would recommend to do away with 1571 and make use of the answerphone integrated into the phone.

The call blocking feature on the phone will work much better once you have caller ID activated, as when someone rings, you'll be able to 'press 2' to always allow that caller straight through.
Davexxx
Rising Star

E-mail message from Plusnet this evening: "We've completed the changes to your Call Features. We've removed the following:
* Voicemail
* Plusnet Call Protect"
This is not what was ordered - I ordered "Caller Display" to be enabled.
Phone control panel now says: "An error has occurred
There's currently an issue with your account, meaning you can't make any changes to your services. Give us a call on 0800 432 0200 and we'll see if we can help."
But 0800 432 0200 is now closed.

Davexxx
Rising Star

"Only then does your phone ring... And reads out the caller's name... You then press 1 if you want to accept the call? Is that right?" Yes

Appreciate the suggestion of discarding BT 1571 - will ponder (but BT4600 phone is supposedly compatible with BT 1571 according to 'Quick Set-up Guide' p57).

mrmitch85
Rising Star

It will probably work once you get the caller ID working.... But only for number that you've already pressed '2' to always allow. Or that you've saved as a contact.

For all other calls, where the call blocker intercepts and answers the call, it's never going to go to 1571, no matter many rings they let it ring for.
Davexxx
Rising Star

For reference this is what the BT4600 user guide advises (page extract attached)

mrmitch85
Rising Star

I think, what it's trying to say (albeit in a pretty unclear fashion) is for the phone's internal answerphone to work, you need to make sure the 1571 ring delay is set longer than the one of the internal answerphone.

OR if you do want 1571 to work (for know / approved callers / numbers only) then set the 1571 delay shorter.

But either way, for any numbers you have not 'always allowed', or for withheld / unknown numbers, the call blocker is going to answer, and it will be impossible for the phone to hand that back to the 1571 service.

This means that unless you switch on the internal answerphone, it will be impossible for anyone to leave you any voice message unless you have added them to your 'allowed numbers' list. (And they are presenting their usual number on CLID).

The same applies whilst your caller ID is not working (as there is no way the phone can know it's an 'allowed' caller.)
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Davexxx,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some issues with the new phone. Had these same issues occurred before you had this equipment setup? Additionally, now that the call features have been removed from the account on our end, has this changed the situation on your end with the equipment?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Davexxx
Rising Star

Alex,

"Had these same issues occurred before you had this equipment setup?" - No

"Additionally, now that the call features have been removed from the account on our end, has this changed the situation on your end with the equipment?" - No

I am greatly concerned that the call features have been disabled as I was simply seeking for "Caller Display" to be enabled.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @Davexxx,

I've had a look into this and it looks like the features appear as active on the front end of the account, however they seem to be missing on the back end of the system. I've put a request in to reapply them now and this should complete in the next 24 hours. Please let us know if the same issues persist tomorrow afternoon and we'll be happy to review the case further from there. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Davexxx
Rising Star

Alex - BT1571 voicemail is now restored to the landline (many thanks), and Caller ID also enabled, so:

The BT 4600 phone message recording now appears fully operational:

a) When dialing in to BT 4600 phone (with BT Call Blocking enabled) and no pickup - messages are left on the BT 4600 message recording system

b) When dialing in to BT 4600 phone but engaged - messages are left on BT1571

Sorted !  Thanks to all for the various suggestions.

Davexxx
Rising Star

Alex,

Hi again - I've just received an e-mail from Plusnet saying:

"We've completed the changes to your Call Features. We've removed the following:

* Plusnet Call Protect"

This, again, is without my prior instruction - would you be able to investigate again ? (to re-enable Plusnet Call Protect)   TIA