cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE landline ceases before PlusNet starts, will I lose my number?

tttonyyy
Dabbler

BE landline ceases before PlusNet starts, will I lose my number?

Hi chaps, activated my FTTC broadband today and it's blisteringly fast  Cheesy
However, I have a SMS from BE saying "Your BE Landline service ends on 19/07/2013."
I now have one from PlusNet saying "The transfer of your phone service for (my number here) should happen on 22/7/2013."
I've heard horror stories of people losing their phone number to "the pool" between disconnection from BE and reconnection by Plusnet.
Is this going to happen to me since it appears I have a three day gap?
19 REPLIES 19
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BE landline ceases before PlusNet starts, will I lose my number?

I guess you missed the many posts in the Be forums suggesting that those with Be landline moving to FTTC to try and move the landline first if continuity was essential.  Undecided
Try contacting Be via a ticket there, if you can, to extend the phone service. That may be out of their hands though.  Lips_are_sealed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear about that issue. it's a shame that prevented you from carrying the number over. Glad to hear that you're happy with the fibre service though.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
it's a shame that prevented you from carrying the number over.

Did the OP actually say that?   Undecided
I read it that he was looking for hope, or better help (from e.g. his new phone provider, namely PlusNet?)  Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I've heard horror stories of people losing their phone number to "the pool" between disconnection from BE and reconnection by Plusnet.
Isn't it worse than that though!. If BE cease the line then not only will PN have to restart the line but the FTTC broadband will cease as well. Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

I think MisterW is probably right. A minefield of horrors potentially awaits!  Crazy
tttonyyy
Dabbler

Quote from: HPsauce
I guess you missed the many posts in the Be forums suggesting that those with Be landline moving to FTTC to try and move the landline first if continuity was essential.  Undecided
Try contacting Be via a ticket there, if you can, to extend the phone service. That may be out of their hands though.  Lips_are_sealed

I did see those and contacted Be directly for advice - which was to not cancel the landline and leave it in place, transfer the broadband and then transfer the landline.  I guess part of the broadband transfer has triggered the landline cancel, as I didn't request this.
I got this reply from PlusNet on the subject:
Thank you for getting in touch.
It appears that your services are in the process of being ceased/cancelled with your current provider, as opposed to letting ourselves simply take over the line.
I would recommend speaking with your current provider and letting them know that you do not want the line to be ceased as it is being taken over by ourselves. This is not something we can do on your behalf and I therefore recommend contacting them as soon as possible.
I must point out that we cannot 100% guarantee the transfer of any telephone number, however we are more likely to retain a number if the line is not ceased prior to our take over.

I have since received an automated text from BE to say "We just heard you're leaving BE Landline for another company. Say it ain't so! If it isn't please call xxxx" etc which suggests they may still be able to do something about extending it a little.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hope they can (and do)!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: tttonyyy
I guess part of the broadband transfer has triggered the landline cancel, as I didn't request this.

Well, as you know Be only supply landline with broadband, so yes that will have been the trigger.
AFAIK there is a "grace" period where Be allow you to run the landline on, on request, I think up to 30 days.
Not knowing the timing of everything I can't tell if that is the case, but hopefully they will extend that on request.
The reason for the suggestion of doing it around the other way is that there have been a number of notable FTTC "fails" for various reasons (usually blamed on BTOR) which cause problems such as yours might become.  Lips_are_sealed
tttonyyy
Dabbler

Well, I'll keep my twisted pairs crossed that that doesn't happen. Wink
Had a live chat with Be customer service, who say they should be able to extend the landline, but I'll need to call the cancellation department tomorrow morning to action this, if possible.  So, we'll see - hopefully I've not left it too late.
Very odd system, you'd think BT would have something in place to stop customers falling down these cracks.  First world problems eh?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't think BT (OR / Wholesale) care at all about end users only about making a profit from CPs/ISPs.
BUT it does sound like BE can hopefully help - fingers crossed.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Did the OP actually say that?

My bad, that wasn't said!
I hope everything does work out with Be and the transfer of your service. As you'll guess Be ceasing the service isn't something we have control over.
From what I can see though the number is transferring over on the 22nd.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Very odd system, you'd think BT would have something in place to stop customers falling down these cracks.
Yes, you'd have thought that BT would reject the cease from BE since there is already an agreed transfer date to another CP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tttonyyy
Dabbler

Quote from: tttonyyy
I have since received an automated text from BE to say "We just heard you're leaving BE Landline for another company. Say it ain't so! If it isn't please call xxxx" etc which suggests they may still be able to do something about extending it a little.

I spoke to BE this morning, since the line is no longer just being disconnected, but rather transferred over to another company (which must have generated the message above), the line is not being disconnected on the 19th, but taken over on the 22nd.  From BE's perspective everything is as it should be and the line and number should transfer normally.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
From what I can see though the number is transferring over on the 22nd.

Thanks Adam, as both ends seem to have the same view I'm much more confident that things will go smoothly.
When we transferred the landline into BE I ended up with someone else's line connected to our house, and they had our line, which took some sorting out I can tell you!  But that's a whole other story. Wink
tttonyyy
Dabbler

I'll try and get the timeline down as maybe it'll help others reading this in the future:
June 14th - I requested MAC from BE over the phone.  I expressed concerns about problems with the landline transfer, they told me to leave the landline commissioned for smooth handover rather than give them notice on this day.
June 18th - BE provide MAC.
June 19th - I sign up for PlusNet using MAC in the signup form, one of the generated messages from PlusNet includes the text:
Once your fibre broadband service has switched, we'll arrange to switch your phone service. This will take 11 working days. Your current fibre broadband and phone service should carry on working until the switch is completed.

June 20th - PlusNet set 2nd July as proposed date for FTTC commissioning, I call and PN agree to move this to 8th July (I want the monthly billing cycle to start on this date).
June 20th - BE send text message saying
Your BE Landline service ends on 19/07/2013. Don't forget to place an order with your new supplier or reconnect your broadband to BE.

I took no action at this point.
June 29th - BE send automatic e-mail and text message saying:
Just a reminder that you will need to place an order for your landline with another company or reconnect to BE broadband. If you've done this in the last few days thank you  and please ignore this email.
The last day you can do this will be 09/07/2013. Your BE landline service will end on 19/07/2013.

July 8th - a few things happen this day in this order:
- BT OpenReach commission FTTC
- PlusNet PPPoE fails CHAPs authentication, I call PlusNet who activate the account, CHAPs auth succeeds - we're connected!
- Message from BE reminding that the landline ends on the 19th
- Message from PlusNet "The transfer of your phone service for xxxxxx should happen on 22/7/2013"
- Message from BE "We just heard you're leaving BE Landline for another company.  Say it ain't so! If it isn't, please call xxx"
So it looks like the landline was automatically extended for takeover when PlusNet requested line takeover on activation day.