Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are fax's chargeable?

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Are fax's chargeable?

Hi
I have the Talk Anytime phone package with my fibre broadband & have a question.
Are fax's chargeable?
The fax number is the same area code as my landline so would it be free or would it be chargeable as technical it's dialling up on a modem?
Cheers in advance
Lee
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Are fax's chargeable?

Faxes are no different to normal phone calls and are charged according to the destination number. If it's on the same area code it's almost certainly a local rate call which may be included in your calls package.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dragon2611
Grafter

If you're sending a fax to a normal geographical number then I'd expect it to be charged the same as a phone call to that number, since as far as I know there's no clever stuff going on to detect that it's a fax.
The only reason they used to charge for dialup is because you'd be connected for hours on end tieing up a trunk on the exchange, where as a Fax usually only lasts a few minutes.
PowerLee
Pro

Cheers for the advice, ill set Windows 7 up, send a fax & see if Plusnet decide to charge me for it  Grin
dragon2611
Grafter

I think I'd just rather pay an email to fax service a few pence to send it for me than goto the hassle of finding a machine that still has a 56k modem in it and setting up the drivers.etc
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Faxes are counted as normal calls for billing purposes.
PowerLee
Pro

Windows 7 Fax & Scan = no need for a stand alone fax machine Wink
My old HP laptop still has a dial up modem fitted so I can use that, all I need to do is connect it with a cable.
Im only likely to send 2 to 3 fax's a month.