cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to block nuisance calls?

JCuddy

Anyway to block nuisance calls?

This number 0800 161 5331 keeps call constantly - it's a recorded message saying it is Barclaycard fraud prevention and saying that they would like Mr Wootton (not me) to call back to confirm his details.  Ironically, my phone number used to belong to someone else in the next village and that is another issue!  I am also getting regular answerphone messages along the lines of "you definitely qualify for a new boiler".  In addition, I receive a lot of withheld calls - always overseas marketing and I always put the phone down.  It's driving me mad!!  Help!  Crazy
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Anyway to block nuisance calls?

Are you registered to the Telephone Preference Service?
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Get a call blocker, I bought one nearly 2 years ago now, no more international calls, no more sales calls, no more "your pc has a problem" sh**e. I use the CPR one but there are others on the market.
TPS is a toothless dragon, been registered with them for many years and still got calls.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As 0800 161 5331 actually is Barclaycard, why don't you call them back and let them know that the person they want to talk to to is not at that address?
The TPS list is (or at least should be) to remove your details from marketing lists but companies that have your number because they believe that they have a business relationship with you will continue to call.  In this case it seems that there is an error but Barclaycard won't know this if you don't tell them.
JCuddy

I am registered with TPS.  I understood, with the power of Google that the Barclaycard number was actually a scam which is why I have not returned the call, however, I will call an alternative number to check.  So, with regard to blocking calls, I can buy a blocker from someone other than Plusnet then?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I use the "CPR Nuisance Telephone Call Blocker" which I bought from Argos (although  other vendors are available).
Been using it for over a year now and would not be without it. Just a happy customer, no link to either CPR or Argos.
You will need to pay Plusnet a monthly fee for caller id though.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
JCuddy

That's great.  I have Plusnet caller ID.  Thank you very much  Cool
cajef
Grafter

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

That's the one I have, got it from CPR direct when they had an offer on.
These days if I get a spam call then a quick press of the button and they are never heard from again  Grin
gree0115
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We have a Truecall unit which I bought from Amazon;
http://tinyurl.com/otufexq
You manage it via a web interface which is free for the first year. Very configurable, almost like a firewall for your landline.
They are more expensive than some of the other units mentioned, but I would thoroughly recommend it. We haven't had a nuisance call since I installed it, in March 2013.