cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having problems switching home phone service?

BrT

Anyone else having problems switching home phone service?

Hi
Is anyone else having trouble switching home phone service or is my experience just a one-off?  Signed up for broadband and phone, broadband works great but no sign of the phone service.  And the only way I found out there was a problem was when I received a bill from my old phone provider - no-one from Plusnet contacted me to tell me there was a problem so I've been merrily making phonecalls thinking I was on Plusnet's calling plan.  When I raised a ticket online I was told I didn't have an active direct debit agreement with Plusnet so the order hadn't gone thru.  (Good response time of 4 hrs).  However my account details show direct debit as active and I remember specifically agreeing to a direct debit when I signed up.  I replied to the support team letting them know that and asking them to please explain what happened and when the problem would be fixed.  That was over 24 hrs ago and still no response. 
As a new customer I'm wondering is this the norm for response times?  I can find the statistics for the phone response times on the website but not for the online tickets. 
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Anyone else having problems switching home phone service?

Hi there,
I'm sorry this has taken so long!  I've just asked Mand to take a look into your order to see where we are with it.
Fyi, http://csc.plus.net will show you the current call stats.
BrT

Hi
Thanks for the quick response.  That would be great if you find out the status.  I just want to be sure it isn't the overlooked email in someone's inbox ... as I've done that before now  Smiley
mal0z
Grafter

To answer your question - yes some people have had problems with swapping, but it has usually been the original company that caused the problem and not PN.
cpcnw
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I did but on the Internet side. I am a long term PN customer changing from one product type to another.
The main issue was that I was told my IP address would not change if I added TalkAnyTime (or should I say, switch to to Braodband Value and add TalkAnyTime)
I realised on Monday that my IP had changed. I am self employed and most of my time is spent at clients sites however just occasionaly I have to do a little remote admin. Clients routers (a considerable number) where setup with my long term PN Static IP over several years. You can imagine going back and changing all these routers (some 35 miles away) is going to be rather 'inconvenient'. I was told that my previously owned IP was 'restricted' [ie they gave it to someone else!!!]
As an apology from customer services [not really offered in support tickets] PN reduced my account by £3 per month for the next year.
In all the years Ive been with Plusnet this one thing is enough to make me go looking elsewhere when my current contract ends.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm afraid this isn't the only case of a problem moving to home phone. However, the problems have been acknowledged by PN's CEO. Read here -
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76376.msg622588.html#msg622588
James
Grafter

Hi cpcnw,
I'm sorry to hear about the problems that you've had changing product and the loss of your IP Address.
Changing telephone package on its own definitely won't change your IP settings but changing the broadband product can (although it shouldn't).  If you do need a static IP address, give me a shout and I'll see what I can sort out.
cpcnw
Rising Star

Jameseh - <redacted>  told me that my IP was 'restricted' ~ I asked for a fuller explanation from which I derived "given to someone else"
My IP that I 'owned' for several years was 81.174.174.115
I have now been given 212.159.115.167
Previous to changing my broadband product I was told that I would keep my IP [redacted]
This isnt what happened!
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  staff name removed as per forum rules ]
James
Grafter

Thanks.
Are you happy with the IP address that you now have?
I am very sorry that it changed.  It shouldn't have done and sounds a bit like human error.
cpcnw
Rising Star

James, obviously I wasnt that happy about it. As explained it has generated a fair amount of work and inconvenience. It also created an impression that one department does not know what has been agreed with another. Whilst PN have gone some was in an apology it has left rather a bitter and lasting after taste.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I fully understand the frustration that this will have caused and I am sincerely sorry for this.
I'll just whack a quick ticket on your account which I hope will go a little way to add to the apology.