cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody switched line rental to another provider but kept Plusnet fibre?

ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Anybody switched line rental to another provider but kept Plusnet fibre?

I'm under the impression I should be able to switch line rental to another provider but keep using PN just for internet without a break in service. Is anyone doing this, and if so did they have any trouble when switching line rental to another provider?

6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Anybody switched line rental to another provider but kept Plusnet fibre?

That's the theory, PN charge extra on the broadband for the privilege though, £1-50/mo I think it is.
So factor that in to the cost of the line rental. Also make sure you don't get moved off OR/BT backend.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Just based off of the LLU tag you've put on your post, I'd just want to stress the point HariMcbiker has advised:

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
Also make sure you don't get moved off OR/BT backend.

We can only provide broadband on the BT Network, so moving the phone to an LLU/MPF line would cause the broadband to be ceased as part of the phone transfer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
zpeterk
Grafter

I did some years ago, I was on Business bb and home phone for a few years and was then told I could not have it this way and was told I needed to have business phone too, this was even more expensive so I moved phone to newcall telecom at £9.50.I am sill with them it is now £11.78 so still works out cheaper. I cannot get pn tv though- what a shame!

ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very useful tip Harry, thanks for clarifying.

I've been looking at various line rental saver packages as the price i paid for my PN LRS was a lot less than its current price.

Looking quickly on MSE, here's how the main options shape up:

• Origin (various packages and options, see below)
  • Plusnet Line Rental Saver: £185.88, equiv £15.49/mth, no inclusive calls.
  • Post Office: £168, equiv £14.00/mth, includes weekend UK landlines and 0845/0870
  • Direct Save Telecom: £162 (£13.50/month), includes weekend UK landlines and 0845/0870

(http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls)

Whilst the prices aren't that different, the fact all the competitors offer free weekend landlines and 08s swings things in their favour. I was also previously a customer of The Post Office Home Phone (with broadband from another provider) and I had no complaints about their customer service whatsoever.

@HarryB Are PN able to offer any retention deals at renewal time? I'd like to stay, but I'm not fussed about swapping providers, I've done half a dozen migrations in my time Wink

Origin's caught my eye again. I first noticed them just after I originally signed up to PN, and several people in the office have gone with them and have reported back positive things. 

Origin say they have 24/7 support, offer the same BT/OR speeds as with PN's fibre packages, they provide a free ASUS router, but more interestingly though their saver deals seem a bit keener:

• £60 discount with discounted first six months on their "Max" line and FTTC package, same speeds
  • £183.83 saving if you pay the whole lot upfront on an 18 months contract (£499.99), so just £28/mth!

Their phone packages also get MEGA cheap if you can stump up for 18 or 24 months...

I must sound like an Origin shill Wink This is the result of five minutes' scouting around looking at the current market offers. Surprised how keen some of Origin's pricing is at the moment given they also use BT/OR.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

ChrisWoods wrote:

I've been looking at various line rental saver packages as the price i paid for my PN LRS was a lot less than its current price.

LRS has gone up over the past years, however when the price increase comes in to affect this September, it will be staying the same at £185.88

ChrisWoods wrote:

@HarryB Are PN able to offer any retention deals at renewal time? I'd like to stay, but I'm not fussed about swapping providers, I've done half a dozen migrations in my time Wink

We can offer retention details, however we unfortunately wouldn't be price matching at the moment.

It's worth giving our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) to discuss that further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

At one time Plusnet only offered broadband [the clue is in the name].
They did this rather well (and cheaply).
Even their TV adverts still concentrate on this aspect.

They've gone downhill ever since they've discovered that telephonic and TV offerings can be rather lucrative.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."