cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anonymous Call feature

Wardio
Dabbler

Anonymous Call feature

I regret to say that this feature is an absolute waste of money. It's supposed to stop calls from withheld numbers, but this forenoon alone I've had three such calls - one of which was the well-known pc scam where they tell you that your computer has several faults. I wouldn't have minded the extra £4 per month to stop these calls (which seem to be on the increase) but I've now cancelled it. Cry
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Anonymous Call feature

Hi Wardio,
It is extremely likely those calls originated from outside the UK.
I am afraid that ACR only blocks anonymous calls from within the UK.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I got the CPR call blocker, this little device sits between your phone and the line, if it gets a call that you have selected to block it just drops the call.
It will do Withheld number, international, spoofed id (single digit numbers etc) and you can manually add other numbers to block or just press the block button.
I have had mine for a couple of weeks and NO sales calls other than one using a "normal" number that I just press block on!
On my extension dect it rings ONCE on the main phone it doesn't ring at all.
On sale at the mo for £40 - I reckoned it will pay for itself inside a year (with ACB @ £4/month)
There are other devices doing the same but this is the only one I have experience with (and could afford!)
Wardio
Dabbler

Thanks HB, this sounds as if it will do the job. The only downside is of course having to fork out my dosh to get rid of these blighters. There ought to be a simple way of registering all approved incoming numbers - mobile or landline - with service suppliers. If NASA can land a jalopy on Mars then this should be a piece of Victoria Sponge!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Sad thing is that phone providers get $$ for every call they "terminate" (i.e. end connect at your phone) so it isn't in their interest to block numbers.
I put it off for several years as they were too expensive, but the number of calls increased, up to 5 a day, and so I think it is worth it for the peace.