cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying calls

bluehoadley
Dabbler

Annoying calls

Before my current number was allocated to me it belonged to a business which is no longer trading but still has a presence on the internet. I am constantly contacted by salesmen, customer inquiries, and even on one occasion HMRC, I have contacted various business web sites that run contact details for this company and have requested they remove the listings, but there are probably hundreds out there.
Can I get my number changed?
Thanks.
John
6 REPLIES 6
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Annoying calls

Is is possible for you to request another number that you can use?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How long before you took over the number did they cease trading? Numbers are I believe supposed to be left unused for 6 months.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this doesn't help and has nothing to do with Plusnet's phone provision, but I still frequently get phone calls for the company that previously had my phone number, that ceased trading more than TWENTY years ago !,  Crazy
Anonymous
Not applicable

My re-allocated (ex-small company) memorable number still shows on internet searches.
I only use my mobile for incoming calls, never giving out my home number.
So if it rings, rarely, it's usually previous owner (company) related.
4 times this last year.
In every case, a request to remove me from their database has been successful.
joharris

I have a Plusnet Broadband Phone number that is just one digit different from the main Rhondda Cybon Taf Council switchboard. As a result I get lots of 'wrong numbers'. Luckily I only use broadband phone for outgoing calls so I know that when the computer phone rings I can safely ignore it.
I have put a voicemail message on the line to let callers know they have misdialled because I kept getting weird messages left. For example South Wales Police left a message to tell me (the council!) that there was a horse loose on the main road to Merthyr, and I got a ear-bashing from someone who hadn't received his council tax rebate!!
It did get me thinking that perhaps the numbers that are allocated for broadband phone are recycled numbers that are unacceptable for landline use because of issues similar to those highlighted in this thread. Anyway, I won't be bothering to ask for a new number.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry we've not replied to this post yet. A change of number can be done and we do have a specific nuisance calls process.
A change of number is done at cost and is generally considered as a last resort, do let me know if you'd still like to follow that up @FiftyFive
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team