cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And I thought Virgin customer service was bad!

Bigfoot7
Hooked

And I thought Virgin customer service was bad!

I have already raised my query once but with no reply.

The second time they have played pass the parcel between Customer Services, Tech Tea and Provisioning but quickly close tickets without giving time to find out whether their solution works or not.

My landline number had been recycled and allocated to Plusnet but it had a commercial tag attached with a business name which shows to callers. So I am getting calls for that business but losing some for me because they think they have got the wrong number.

They say that the only way to get the tag removed is to get the original owner of the number to get BT to remove it, however BT say they can't do this.

In reality it looks like Openreach are the ones that could remove it but they won't speak to the public. So unless Plusnet asks them I am snookered.

I do not want a different number because I have only just succeeded in informing the 180 odd people in my private address book.

It does look as if Plusnet does not review this forum and so I am right royally stuffed - the individuals who I speak to are very polite and try their best but it would appear that there are no senior people who could sort this out.

Has anybody found a successful route to getting action?

Thanks

Graham (not to be confused with the Malvern Antiques Centre which ceased to trade over 15 months ago.)

The number is writ large on the listed property, now empty, but I doubt they will appreciate me going up a ladder to obliterate it!   

13 REPLIES 13
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: And I thought Virgin customer service was bad!

@Bigfoot7  I have never heard of caller ID coming up with the name of a business unless it is configured as a contact in your phone so how are callers seeing this business name?

I had a recycled number for a business at a previous address and got a lot of calls, there's not much you can do about it.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Phone numbers don’t have tags against them in the way you’re suggesting. My question would be; why would you lose calls directed to you? Surely someone who’s calling you would get through to you by calling your number?

Also if someone is calling you expecting to speak to the business which no longer exists then that’s unfortunate because as you’ve said the number’s recycled. 

I think the only real way to try to fix is to ask for another number but there’s no guarantee that would fix the issue as the vast majority of numbers are recycled. 

Bigfoot7
Hooked

This is a thing apparently, but I had not and have not the company in my phone.

So I am at the mercy of these telecos that don't seem to respond to my questions.

Bigfoot7
Hooked

I have been told that the number does have a tag against it but I cannot get the telecos to remove it.

We have just notified over 150 friends and businesses of our number so don't want the expense (time & money) to re-notify. Besides which it is an easy to remember number.

I lose calls because when the business name appears people think they have misdialled and are reluctant to call again.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@Bigfoot7 Who told you that? Lines have tags on them but not in the way you’re suggesting. Are people seeing a business name on caller ID when ringing you? Even then caller ID is for incoming calls not outgoing 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Bigfoot7 I'm as mystified as @Thrall and @RealAleMadrid as to where this business name is appearing to callers when dialling your number.

Incidentally, does your number perchance end in '50'?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Bigfoot7
Hooked

Thanks

Yes it ends in 50!

See it for yourself [Removed]5750 

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

Bigfoot7
Hooked

It was a business phone.

If I ring it from my mobile I see the business name and I have never used that number before!

G

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Bigfoot7 

I find your tale as hard to believe as it seems previous contributors to the thread do.

How does what you are describing present information to a callers phone?  Huh

Anyway, just to prove it to myself, I just dialled your number above and got the result as expected on my telephone display - the number dialled!

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Bigfoot7 wrote:

It was a business phone.

If I ring it from my mobile I see the business name and I have never used that number before!

@Bigfoot7 

Have you got some sort of 'directory lookup' service enabled on your mobile which looks up the numbers you dial?

Bigfoot7
Hooked

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

I rang my number again from my mobile and no Business Description! Hooray

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Bigfoot7 wrote:

I have been told that the number does have a tag against it but I cannot get the telecos to remove it.

If its your number your existing Telco should be doing something about, not fobbing you off. But saying that, it might not actually be the Telco's problem but your phone (and people calling you) accessing something like this.

How you get it removed, maybe you need to contact them instead.

Edit, I see you've been saved already 🙂

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@idonno wrote:

... it might not actually be the Telco's problem but your phone (and people calling you) accessing something like this.

But even that is for incoming calls @idonno , so AIUI, the only way that would come into play would be for people receiving calls from the OP, not the other way around.  Wink