cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a telephone ringer

2kaud

Adding a telephone ringer

I would like to add a telephone ringer. However I already have 4 telephones attached - giving a REN value of 4. The telephone ringer also has a REN value of 1 which if I connected it would give me REN value of 5. I've read that you shouldn't exceed a REN value of 4.
Is it possible for me to add a telephone ringer? Please would some kind person advise.
7 REPLIES 7
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Adding a telephone ringer

Not an answer, but - unfortunately, phones are rated "upto" with integer values - so a true loading less than 1 is certified as 1 - see also the wikipedia entry.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

It's just a guideline - meaning basically that BT Openreach won't be interested if you complain of ringing problems and you have a total REN of 5.
Unless you have a particularly long line, chances are you'll be fine. Just try it and see - either it'll work or it won't - and no harm will be done in either case.  Smiley
4C (ex-BT)
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
2kaud

Thanks. If having a REN of 5 won't cause any harm I'll try it and if it works fine. Unfortunately I do have rather a long line from the cabinet to my property which caused some issues when I first had  ADSL and then fibre broadband installed.
Is there any device you can get which you can add to a phone line to increase the number of devices which can be attached?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes
A DECT phone - one base station and several hand sets
picbits
Rising Star

I would second Jims suggestion.
A DECT phone set with 2 or more handsets will still only take a REN of around 1. You can position the master base station near you phone socket and have the rest of the phones anywhere that is convenient.
2kaud

Thanks. I'll do that. It'll save problems with having ringers etc.
picbits
Rising Star

You might want to look at the ones offered by BT with the call nuisance blocking system - you can use them to help stop cold callers / withheld numbers etc etc.
They cost a few quid more but well worth looking at for a long term investment.