cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 Weeks now without phone line fix? Totally dead - help!

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Week without phone line fix? Totally dead - help!

@james26 - If we knew, we'd tell you. I'm afraid as with any fault, broadband or phone, we don't have any idea when it will be fixed. If we're given a date we'll update you as soon as we have it.
@jelv - I believe it's Openreach that are the owners of the phone network, however that being the case it comes down to business decisions. You're aware that if we were to offer refunds for downtime on broadband faults we'd have to increase subscription costs to cover it - it's the same deal with this and voice faults, if we were to offer it we'd need to do the same.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

What a salutory tale!
As it happens I've just been considering an upgrade to a fibre connection and I see that a Plusnet phone service is a requirement for this. It does come over that while Plusnet are an OK ISP they are poor when it comes to either progressing faults or keeping their customer informed. When my telegraph pole was a victim of last winter's gales BT couldn't have been more helpful in keeping me informed and connected via my mobile. It would be a big ask to give up that standard of service.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
james26
Grafter

got a reply back from plusnet:

Thanks for your patience.
I do appreciate that you have now been without a working phone for 19 days.
Please rest assured that we are doing everything within our power to get this issue resolved. We are are unable to simply re-route the cable in order to bypass the property next door.
I am checking with BT again this afternoon for an update and will advise you accordingly.
Please accept my apologies and appreciation for your patience while this dealt with.
and then about 2 hours later:
Thank you for your patience. I have been in contact with BT and have been advised that the case handler for your escalation is currently working through his work load. We will advise you of any updates as soon as we receive them.
We will now place this question on hold until 22/06/2012 at 07:00 to chase this update for you.

ad1mcb
Dabbler

I have the same problem.Empty promises.
Still only 2 months to go and I'l be looking elsewhere.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@ad1mcb
Do I understand right, you don't have a working phone line because OpenReach still haven't installed it? (presumably after a house move?).
Edit: Looking at your previous posts you seem to be having a problem with your phone line (noise - crackling) which you rent from BT Retail - have you reported the fault to BT Retail? This is not the issue in this thread, and in any event not Plusnet's fault either.
glloyd
Rising Star

Quote from: Matt

@jelv - I believe it's Openreach that are the owners of the phone network, however that being the case it comes down to business decisions. You're aware that if we were to offer refunds for downtime on broadband faults we'd have to increase subscription costs to cover it - it's the same deal with this and voice faults, if we were to offer it we'd need to do the same.

Are you saying BT retail get a better deal from Openreach withh regards to phone faults, re-routing and compensation? If not why can't you offer the same services, your prices are not much cheaper?
ad1mcb
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
@ad1mcb
Do I understand right, you don't have a working phone line because OpenReach still haven't installed it? (presumably after a house move?).
Edit: Looking at your previous posts you seem to be having a problem with your phone line (noise - crackling) which you rent from BT Retail - have you reported the fault to BT Retail? This is not the issue in this thread, and in any event not Plusnet's fault either.

I have had my phone for over 10 years at this address without any problem.I have been with PN for 8 months or so and suddenly a week ago my phone goes down and has been completely dead ever since.
Not sure what you mean by mentioning BT. I have no contract whatsoever with them-I am purely contracted to PN for everything.I was told my problem would be sorted on Friday-2 days later I am still waiting.
Yes it is PN's fault! 
Anotherone
Champion

Well no it isn't, it's OutOfReach's fault by the sound of it. I assumed you were with BT Retail as you said "Last time it was a fault with the BT line" in a previous post. I'd guess the best thing would be to start your own thread detailing what's happened, post the ticket number, and the last response and I'm sure someone from the DCT will pick it up in the morning.
Quote from: glloyd
Are you saying BT retail get a better deal from Openreach with regards to phone faults, re-routing and compensation? If not why can't you offer the same services, your prices are not much cheaper?
But they are cheaper, that's the point, and prices would have to go up to provide that  Sad
ad1mcb
Dabbler

Then PN should say that!.I
If their service is going to be inferior to that of BT's then that should be notified to potential customers.
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

In my general experience what you get for your money with any provider, ie. what's included, what you get when there's a fault etc. is generally spelled out fairly well in the Ts&Cs and FAQ's.
quelquod
Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
But they are cheaper, that's the point, and prices would have to go up to provide that  Sad

I think this is a point made earlier by a PN rep, however PN's prices are very little cheaper than BT's - in fact in some areas they are more expensive - so I would have thought that offering identical assistance during an outage would be easily possible with little financial hit.
It is very likely indeed of course that for historic reasons BT are better able to grope through the OpenReach system and get a better service (not that anyone is likely to admit to this). I do think that PN should be prepared to take the hit on redirection costs if a fault goes unresolved for such a time. This is called customer service. PN of course are effectively in competition with BT to provide a return to their owners so there's the obvious temptation to keep this service to a minimum

adie:green removed quotes around edited posts
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If offering a fallback service is too expensive Plusnet should be standing up for their users and banging on BT OutOfReach's door to demand improvements.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
glloyd
Rising Star

BT retail don't give anything away unless they have to so if they can provide a better service for around the same price then so should PlusNet.
ad1mcb
Dabbler

Seems to me that PN are mere poodles when it comes to demanding any proper service from "BigDaddy" BT.
BT will look after their own customers as a priority and we are essentially second raters when it comes to sorting problems.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

BT Openreach and BT Wholesale are not legally permitted to give preferential treatment to BT retail over other providers (telecoms or ISP) using their infrastructure.  That's the theory anyway.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.