cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£30 termination rip-off

lainy60
Hooked

£30 termination rip-off

I have just contacted PlusNet to terminate my contract as I am moving house, I have been with them for over a year now, and have fullyhonoured my contract on my part. The PlusNet advisor told me that there will be a £30 charge to cut off my current line as this will have to be done by BT. Does this not mean that BT still has a monopoly on the UK phone line network, and is this not illegal? No mention of such a charge was made when I took up with PlusNet in good faith, and I thought it was deemed extortion to charge someone if they decide 'not to take up a service'. I will be interested to hear what the regulator has to say about this.

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: £30 termination rip-off

Its a standard charge that BT applies to any Broadband service cease, often waived if you go through a Home move, and not applicable if you move to another BT ISP.

You can read more about it http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It is entirely up to Plusnet what charges they do or don't pass on to the end user, or if Plusnet decide to charge one anyway.

The BTWholesale cease fee actually appears to be slightly over £30, and it is zero in Market A (the not low-cost areas).

lainy60
Hooked

Thanks for the replies, however, you do both appear to be conveniently trying to ignore the fact that PlusNet and BT are a part of the same company, just different T-Shirts. One wouldn't get on a bus and pay an agreed fare to the conductor, only to be charged as you tried to alight from the vehicle  by the driver because he claimed to work for a different arm of the same organisation, or would you?   

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Not ignoring it, and certainly not agreeing with it, just trying to point out its not something new.BT even had the cheek to try and charge me the £30 when I moved to PN last year, hence me even knowing about it.

lainy60
Hooked

Thanks mustrum, and thanks for the info, my apologies if you thought I was having a pop. I am absolutely disgusted with this. I will post about this on every site/forum I am a member of. I will be taking this to task, there is a referendum next week.  

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So you signed a contract where it clearly states that there is a £30 cease charge if the broadband is ceased rather than migrated. Now you are complaining that Plusnet are applying the terms of the contract

I suggest that you think carefully as posting on other forums where there are knowledgeable posters will result in you being shot down in flames

lainy60
Hooked

Shoot away Oldjim, as a former marine I have already survived three conflicts and twonks on the internet do not phase me in the least I can assure you, nor do I react well to sharp practises. But be advised, prepare for incoming!