cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 and a half months and line still noisy/poor ADSL

Copperbottom

3 and a half months and line still noisy/poor ADSL

OK, so I bought a house and moved in at the start of June this year. BT line was activated as was broadband, anticipating ADSL speeds of 3-5Mb down. I transferred my service from my last house as I've been happy with PN for many years. Sadly from day 1 the line has been noisy and ADSL speed has been between 0.5 and 1Mb down, 0.25Mb up. This was reported to PN support who raised a job with Openreach.The first engineer suggested that the end of our cable was water damaged and re-terminated it, but suggested it could do with about 2 metres of the house-end cable being replaced. Sadly no improvement was noticed and this was reported back to PN and OR. Worth mentioning that we are on an exchange only line, which runs for many miles before reaching our nearest exchange. All of the cabling is underground, until it pops up through a conduit in the house.

Roll forward 3.5 months (and approx. 20 Openreach appointments later) and we have been backwards and forwards with PN and OR. OR have replaced 2 metres of cable by the house, but consistently notice high resistance approx 450 metres away in an underground chamber. This section has also been replaced (after they pumped the chamber clear of water).

Sadly, whenever BT come out to investigate, they always send an overground engineer to "check" and then have to fault it out to the track and locate or dig team (one dig engineer has been very helpful but has only been twice). One of the BT engineers had stated that an AF55 (request to dig) exists to replace a large section of cable, but I think that when this may have been done a few weeks ago, the line got noticeably worse and we cannot use the phone or internet at all. We've got voicemails from GPs and vets which we cannot decipher due to the line noise (which has led to anxious waits to call them back the next day) and are also trying to run a business from home, which is near impossible without Internet.

PLEASE can someone escalate this so OR can come and fix this once and for all? I am reluctant to have to cancel and switch to satellite, as when the line was temporarily OK, we saw speeds of 5Mb down.

Thanks in hope!

David

7 REPLIES 7
Copperbottom

Re: 3 and a half months and line still noisy/poor ADSL

Just been waiting on the phone for 45 minutes to speak to PN support to report latest BT failed appointment and lack of progress, but I can't hold anymore! I need to get on with the day job!

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Perhaps whilst waiting on phone you should try & start a chat session, and see which method gets you through first.

Copperbottom

"Online chat is currently unavailable, please choose another option."

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

If you have any kind of adblock software on your browser, disable it temporarily while trying to access the chat feature. Should work with adblock turned off.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Gin
Hooked

@Copperbottom

When an AF55 is state, that means it will be a long process (few months or more) for an BT engineer to resolve. As this can be long stretch of cables that are in a poor condition. Do you know how far you are from your local exchange?

Copperbottom

Hi Gin,

I'm about 3 miles from the Exchange, but OR have identified 2 sections which needed replacing within 500m of the house. The AF55 related to these two sections and according to PN, the work relating to the AF55 was completed a couple of weeks ago. This coincided with the line becoming worse than ever.

I did manage to get through on the chat, after about 1hr 15 minutes yesterday. The PN engineer logged to the faults team (despite my plea to escalate to someone senior), the faults team then confirmed BT were due out yesterday and would appear at approx 6pm. Sadly this visit never occurred.

I'm now in the process of switching to a smaller ISP, who have a great reputation for service. Hoping that they will be able to give some focus to this issue with Openreach. This decision was not taken lightly, but I've had to call it a day with PN, after all they have had 3.5 months to get OR t

Gin
Hooked

@Copperbottom

I can understand that it's a lengthy process, but this fault on the line you have is sadly in BT domain. BT can be painfully slow, as the cost is their major factor. So, it really depends on how quickly BT is willing to fix it.

You are 4.83km away from you exchange and the speed of 5Mbps is quite good from that distance, when you said the line is 'OK'.

However, I do hope that your fault will be resolve in the near future.