cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Telephone line or moving first line into outbuilding (garden office)

slime
Grafter

2nd Telephone line or moving first line into outbuilding (garden office)

Hi,
Any ideas how much it is to install a 2nd line into an outbuilding down the end of the garden (office)?  I guess PN then just charge 12.99/month line rental - no special offers for having two?!!!??  Can PN then move my broadband to the 2nd line leaving my current line just for phone?
Or any ideas if I can pay to get my fibre point currently in a bedroom in the main house moved into the garden office (no telephone connection)?
Why?  Well, 2nd baby means what was my office is now needed as a bedroom and so I am pushed out into the shed!  OK - it's not really a shed but a brick outbuilding!
AAARARRGGHGHHH - what to do....
Suggestions?Huh
Thanks,
Si.
8 REPLIES 8
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: 2nd Telephone line or moving first line into outbuilding (garden office)

Have you checked if a cordless phone and wireless router would solve the problem?
e.g. "1 KM outdoor range"
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-elements-single-rugged-ip54-cordless-handset-4CZ9.html#descriptio...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is the office shed on the same ring main as the bedroom where the fibre currently terminates?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I didn't think that Home Plug's needed to be on the same ring main only the same main feeder/consumer unit otherwise using one connected to the downstairs ring won't work in the bedroom
slime
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.  Wireless phone I do have in the office/shed (but no phone line or point).  The electric is separate but I do have ethernet down there over homeplugs (Wi-Fi did work down there from house but patchy)....
But - what I really need is to move my 2 boxes (fibre modem and router) into the outbuilding and then homeplug ethernet back up to house.  I need to free up the bedroom from all the old office stuff otherwise my daughter won't sleep as it looks like the starship enterprise (flashing lights) and she'll play with the gear.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unless you can box in the fibre modem and connect to the router by a longer cable - outside the bedroom assuming you don't box that in as well you will need to involve BT with a fairly significant cost
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you've got homeplugs working to the shed you should be able to do:
     Bedroom          Shed/office
Modem - Homeplug - Homeplug - Router

Does that get you any further forward?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
slime
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
It does a little!!  Except that I then need to get Ethernet back to the main house and I only have 1 set of homeplugs and it would mean I still have 1 device (BT OR FTTC modem) in the bedroom but I have to say it may be the best solution without paying bt loads of dosh!
Can I (I wonder) just move the extension (a bt OR massive surface mount box) from the bedroom to the office in the garden? My actual master socket is directly under the old study (the new baby bedroom to be) and the bt engineer was happy to leave the master alone on the dining room (I had swapped the front to an ADSL Nation faceplate) and I had wired an extension phone socket to the study above using CAT6 which he then swapped to the BT OR socket. So, can I just leave that alone and wire a new bit of cat6 down to the shed and then put a BT OT socket on the end? I could then use the homeplugs to get Ether back to house (or even run 2 cables while I am at it I guess).
The BT engineer did do something to the master in the dining room when he installed FTTC but not sure what as I was making him a cuppa at the time!  Any ideas what he may have done?
Any good external cat5e/cat6 that you know of? The shed (garden office) is about 30 metres down the garden FYI!
Thanks Smiley
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

If you need a second phone number and already pay for a broadband link consider Vonage or Skype.-both will provide an incoming phone number with good call rates or unlimited packages. Sipgate provide a free number and have no call setup charges; calls are 1.19 p/minute or a 1000 min/month for six quid.
If you are running UTP (CAT5/6) out to a garden shed, don't run the wire close (within 30 cm) and parallel to any mains electric wire. For external UTP cablemonkey can supply a 100m reel.
Also consider some lightning protection at each end of the UTP cable running through your garden. I can dig out a reference if you like, but I recall they cost about £15 per unit.
As an alternative you might consider directional WiFi antennae, but you'd need the type of router/WAP which has detachable antennae.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.