Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 phone lines in 1

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: 2 phone lines in 1

Is she using a cordless phone?
In any case, plug a phone in to the test socket inside the master socket (preferably a corded phone) and dial 17070 - check that this reports the correct number. If it does ring your daughters number while the phone is plugged in to the test socket. That might shed light as to what is going on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dhep1
Grafter

Did that it was the business next doors number!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Was that using a corded phone in the test socket?
dhep1
Grafter

Yes
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just thought of how the business should report the fault: "when we pick up the phone we can sometimes hear someone else talking and we cannot make a call".
Also: "sometimes when our number is called it comes up as engaged even though we are not using the phone"
Edit: if an engineer calls to investigate their fault leave your daughters handset off the hook beside a radio/television!
dhep1
Grafter

The thing is everything was fine until the day, time plusnet took over her phone so obviously their fault, she cannot answer her phone as it is for next door!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: dhep1
she cannot answer her phone as it is for next door!
Maybe she should "play dumb" and answer the phone until the business realise that their line is also connected to another property so they are losing calls. Might prompt them to shout at their own supplier that they have a crossed line and it's losing them business. Might get a quicker response as a business line will probably have a better SLA with OR?  Wink
dhep1
Grafter

Can I just repeat, it is plusnet fault, it is NOT the fault of the business because of the incompetence of plusnet their phone works fine their internet works fine more than can be said about hers.it is HER phone on THEIR line.
I have contacted the ombudsman for this, and hers and my internet, we have good speeds but cannot play games etc. We have to tether to our mobile's!!
If it was not for the fact I paid 1 year in advance for line rental I would cancel the direct debits.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Nobody has said that the business is at fault.  Suggesting that the business report a fault through their provider means that both PN (who aren't actually to blame either but are responsible for ensuring a fix) and the business' supplier will report a fault to BTOR.  As other's have said, the business may well get. a better fix time.  The business do have a legitimate fault - Your daughter's phone is ringing when callers try to contact them!
The fault will almost certainly be down to sloppy jumpering at the exchange (as that's what has changed) and both parties reporting the same fault, specifying the two numbers that are affected will hopefully prevent wasted engineer appointments etc at the premises (though I wouldn't bank on it!)
dhep1
Grafter

The business has reported it several times, their supplier insists there is no problems showing?
pwatson
Rising Star

Just because a fault isn't showing doesn't mean there isn't one!  If someone else was able to answer my calls I'd be onto my telco like a shot.
dhep1
Grafter

What can they do no fault showing their phone works fine it is my daughters who is connected to theirs.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Get your daughter to dial the speaking clock and then leave the phone off the hook. That will convince people there is a fault - no incoming or outgoing calls!
The fault is incorrect jumpering in the exchange. Plusnet do not have any engineers that work in the exchange - they are not allowed to. All the work in the exchange is done by OpenReach.
dhep1
Grafter

It would have been nice if plusnet had told me this instead of telling me constantly that "This cannot happen".
Surly because the contract is with plusnet they should sort it, quickly.
pwatson
Rising Star

Yes, PN should be getting it fixed by BTOR - Again, a report from XLN may speed things up as well!