cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1571 losing messages

amplexus

1571 losing messages

The basic 1571 service on my landline loses messages sometimes, i.e. callers tell me afterwards that they left a message, but I never get them. After a bit of experimentation, it transpired that when callers leave messages, they can inadvertently delete them by pressing * or re-record them by pressing #, which is quite easy to do if gripping a mobile phone near the keypad. I've scoured the internet but can't find anything about these codes for callers. In March, I 'chatted' with someone from Plusnet Support who said he would investigate. Needless to say, he never got back to me.

Has anyone else lost any 1571 messages in this way? Does anyone know if these codes for callers are unpublished features of the 1571 system or just bugs in the software?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 1571 losing messages

Hi there, * and # are fairly standard controls on a voicemail service in all honesty.

I do apologise if someone here said they'd look into it, especially as there's nothing to look into. Do feel free to send me a private message with your username though and I'll see if I can find out who promised you that and get some feedback passed on to their line manager.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
amplexus

Hi adamwalker, you say " * and # are fairly standard controls on a voicemail service" and that "there's nothing to look into". I beg to differ. When I asked a group of my friends if they knew of this editing feature on 1571, none of them did. And the standard prompt callers receive if my phone is not answered or busy says "... Please leave a message after the tone" without any mention of editing features. Neither does Plusnet's call features guide 'How do I use call features' mention anything about them.

Given the seriousness of the problem, i.e. the potential to lose voicemail messages without even knowing, Plusnet should at least amend its call features guide to warn its customers of this editing feature which is available to callers. Better still, it should change the standard prompt to warn callers of this feature so they don't inadvertently delete messages.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi amplexus,

Thanks for the additional feedback on this.

I understand where you're coming from however we would need to gauge the impact of such issues before considering making such changes but that's something we'll be looking out for.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team