cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1571 No Intermittent Dial Tone

pythonleejackso

1571 No Intermittent Dial Tone

When I've had the 1571 voicemail service from previous providers, there was an intermittent dial tone when a message was waiting. Although my plusnet voicemail 1571 service accepts messages and works ok, there is no intermittent dial tone when a new message is waiting. This caused me to miss several important messages until I realised it doesn't work with plusnet and I have to dial 1571 every time to check. I'm a new plusnet customer and I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work or if it needs to be fixed. I am using the same BT handsets as before. Any advice would be appreciated...  Undecided
27 REPLIES 27
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: 1571 No Intermittent Dial Tone

That's odd. There should be intermittent dial tone if it's a Plusnet line.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
picbits
Rising Star

As above - it does sound like a fault.
My 1571 gives me a broken dialtone when there is a message waiting.
pythonleejackso

Thanks for your replies. Now I know it's a fault, I've posted a query with plusnet support. Hopefully it's a quick fix - weird though...
kande4isp
Dabbler

I've had the same problem since joining Plusnet. Did you ever get it resolved?
Thanks
joclark
Grafter

Hi.

@pythonleejackson - please let us know if the fault persists, hopefully now we have this registered as a fault we should have this fixed shortly.

@kande4isp - are you still having this problem? if you are please raise a ticket on your account and we can fix this for you.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I have to say the broken dialtone sounds weird, I'm used to the tone just being on-off-on-off, but on this line it seems to just drop the 350Hz tone but keep the 440Hz tone going, so it's more DooDeeDooDeeDooDeeDoo.... Huh
Not a fault (I think, could be wrong!!), just an observation... Grin
joclark
Grafter

Good morning, from experience of the 1571 the noise is somewhat of a  DooDeeDooDeeDooDeeDoo sound. So this is nothing to worry about and this doesn't indicate a fault on the line.
Have a nice day Smiley
Jo
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Definitely a different broken dialtone sound then... Grin
Confused the mother though, she thought it was an alarm or something on the line... Grin
kande4isp
Dabbler

It was about a month with Plusnet before I realised that there was a fault rather than no one leaving me messages!
I have reported this as a fault but I'm struggling to get satisfaction. The response is generally "There is no fault on the line". I have now received the message "As your number was imported from another supplier it is possibly on a switch were the stuttered dial tone does not work if this is the case then there is nothing further we can do to make it work." To this I've have replied that I would view this as not supplying the service as described and therefore breaking the contract. It is exasperating after three weeks of trying.
Everything was fine with TalkTalk when I was seduced into moving to Plusnet for a cheaper deal and alledgedly better customer service. I have waited for extended periods on the phone listening to appalling music. I've done this as the alternative to waiting three working days for every response.
kande4isp
Dabbler

I have now been told that they can do nothing about this on my current line. Hence, I have to ring 1571 every time I go out, receive a cal or make a call just to check whether someone has left a message. So I have raised a complaint saying that Plusnet is not providing the service promised and therefore have broken the contract. Now I just want to be able to move back to my previous provider who had no difficulty providing the service on my line!
kande4isp
Dabbler

They have now told me that free features are not part of the contracted service and so they are not under any obligation to provide them as stated. Plusnet's own document  "Call Features Guide" clearly states on page 1 that "You’ll be alerted to a message by a stuttering dial tone when you pick up your handset." As far as I am concerned this is a clear statement on your part that you have promised this service. What a shower! They would rather have a dissatisfied customer slagging them off for the next 14 months of contract than coming to a sensible agreement.
picbits
Rising Star

Doesn't sound good really Sad Hopefully a member of the DCT will pick this up and comment further ?
Don't give up just yet !
catelliott
Grafter

Hi there kande4isp,
I've taken a look through your account and it looks like the intermittent dial tone isn't working as your number has been imported from a non-BT based supplier. Unfortunately, the only thing that we could do to try to get it to work would be to re-number your line to a number on the BT network.
I'm really sorry that this is the case. We have tested the line a number of times, and even had Openreach test it manually rather than automatically, and no fault can be found.
kande4isp
Dabbler

Everything worked fine until I joined Plusnet.  So why won't they allow me to revert to that situation? It seems quite malicious to keep me on contract when I could have the service by moving back to my previous supplier. I can't afford to buy out the contract. Nor can I face the prospect of the logistics of changing number at my age. My only option now is to go to the complaints body as well as letting the world know how Plusnet treats pensioners.