cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1. Voicemail 2. Nuisance Calls

first500
Dabbler

1. Voicemail 2. Nuisance Calls

I have just been switched to PlusNet. I have two questions relating to phone service features:
1. With my previous providers (TalkTalk and even long ago BT) when there was a voicemail message waiting, as well as the interrupted dialling tone, a "Message Waiting" icon was triggered to appear on my phone's display panel. This is now no longer appearing via the PlusNet service. Can you enable this function for me please?
2. With Talktalk, on receipt of a nuisance or malicious call, I could dial 1477 and the service logged the last incoming call as a nuisance or malicious call. What is the equivalent procedure with PlusNet?
9 REPLIES 9
picbits
Rising Star

Re: 1. Voicemail 2. Nuisance Calls

The 1477 issue was discussed fairly recently (I think) and it was said that Plusnet had no facility to use this feature with their suppliers (BT Wholesale).
The call waiting feature was also discussed a while ago and I vaguely remember it being dependent on the phone checking the dial tone and reporting back if it was a broken tone rather than the telephone company provider being able to turn the feature on or off.
*Edit - just as a thought, have you got the broken dial tone a the moment on your line with a 1571 message waiting to be retrieved ?
picbits
Rising Star

first500
Dabbler

Hi Dom S
Yes - I have the broken dial tone when there is a message waiting.  Did you mean at this very moment?  Answer is no.  Do you want me to post when I actually have a message waiting?
NB although I also had the broken tone with the previous provider, if that is what was thought to be triggering the icon it no longer does so..
So I guess it may not be a phone feature, but something that is triggered by the phone line provider.
**edit**  Just read the other post about having an extra filter.  My phone is plugged into a fixed extension line, which comes out of the back of the main incoming line wall socket.  
The BT engineer has just fitted the new faceplate, which I understand has a built-in filter.  but I haven't yet got round to removing the in-line filter from the phone extension socket.  However, I wonder if the extension line emerges before the filter, and therefore only has the single in-line filter applying.  Maybe I should try a second in line filter on the extension socket.  What do you think?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If the engineer fitted the VDSL faceplate correctly, he would have terminated the extension wiring on the back of the faceplate, doing away with the need for filters. Your best bet would be to disconnect the filter from the extension before you try anything else.
first500
Dabbler

OK.  I've tried with 0, 1 and 2 filters in line with the phone on the extension circuit, but no difference.  I've also tried it plugged directly into the main BT socket - same result.
So to summarise, a message waiting triggers the broken dial tone, but no longer triggers the icon on the phone display.  One of the other threads seemed to think that it was the broken tone itself that triggered the icon on the phone, but as it was working last week with TalkTalk, but not since the transfer to PlusNet, this would not seem to be the case.
Can a PlusNet engineer advise what the difference is between the TalkTalk and BT 1571 services, and the PlusNet 1571 service?  The feature worked with both those sertvices, but not the PlusNet service.  Is there a signal that needs to come from the 1571 system that PlusNet haven't switched on?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you remove the lower part of the faceplate from the master leaving the filtered ADSL socket in place you should find the extension socket is dead. If that is the case it confirms that the extension is filtered and you don't need to use a filter in the extension socket.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
first500
Dabbler

Hi jelv,
I've attached a photo of the back of the new faceplate.  The extension wires are the blue and yellow ones.  I assume these are connected after the built in filter, so confirming that I don't need one on the extension.  Is that correct?
(The reason I even mentioned filters was because the other threads linked to above implied that an extra filter ie extra to the built in filter, would reinstate the message waiting icon, but not for me).
Would appreciate an official response some time to my post of 11.10am today.
picbits
Rising Star

You may need to raise a ticket on the ticket system in the members area if you want official responses - you can always link to the question asked on the forum.
While the Digital Care Team monitor the forums and tend to pick up on most of the queries, it is easy for them to overlook some of the requests.
Likewise if you have a ticket raised you can post the ticket number on your query on the forum.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: first500
I've attached a photo of the back of the new faceplate.  The extension wires are the blue and yellow ones.  I assume these are connected after the built in filter, so confirming that I don't need one on the extension.  Is that correct?

That's exactly as it should be - you don't need a filter on the extension.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)