cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

08 & 03 codes

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

08 & 03 codes

Hello Community. I was wondering, on a PlusNet homephone line, is it cheaper to use the 0345 code or the 0845 code before dialing a number? I have the choice to dial either 0345 or 0845 if I need to contact a government department and they say I can choose to use either prefix but to `check with your phone provider` to see which is the cheapest.

I have already contacted 02 (for my mobile) which is on the Classic pay as you go 123 rate and the chat person said if I dialled 03, I would only be charged 3p per minute, but if I dialled 08 it would cost me 55p a minute! So that`s a no brainer!

But I usually like to use the home phone line for service calls incase I have to hold on the line for a while and my mobile decides to go AWOL on me! Although I realise it is cheaper to use the 3p per minute option using the mobile phone. Just wanted to compare the two really so I know what the PlusNet per minute charge is for 0345 or 0845 codes.

Thanks. Smiley

7 REPLIES 7
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: 08 & 03 codes

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Had a feeling the answer would be in the tariff list just wasn`t sure where to look, so thanks LifeoneMars! So according to the link, Service numbers 01, 02 and 03 are charged at 13.5p per minute and 0845 is 9.58p per minute? I know there would also be a service charge added by whoever I was calling but I suppose those vary depending on who we are calling? Seems the 0845 code via the landline would be cheaper than the 03 prefix then if I decided to use the landline for these types of call.

Although I could use my 02 mobile which would be even cheaper, but I`m not sure the 02 online chat I did earlier was correct when he said if I dialled the code 03 I would only be charged 3p per minute, or if he actually meant 0345 (if he took into account the 45 after the 03) I mean? I already knew that dialing 03 on my mobile would mean 3p per minute, but something niggling me whether he meant 0345, or just 03 in the code? I did ask about 0345 and 0845 so he could be correct in his answer. 

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

For phone numbers starting 08 I always check at https://www.saynoto0870.com/ to see if there is an alternative number.

Dan.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Calls from mobiles using  03 are usually charged at the same Rate as your 01 or 02 numbers. If you have inclusive minutes then the call will come out of that.  even 0345 numbers as they start with 03.

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Dan, how do you use that site? I`ve looked at it before but I can`t see a `search` box where you put in a phone number and it finds a cheaper alternative? Maybe I`m just not seeing it?

LoMars, I don`t have inclusive calls with 02, I`m on their Classic Pay As You Go Sim, the one that matches Three`s 123 tariff. This is why I`m wondering if the guy on the live chat said I would only be charged 3p per minute for any 0345 code and I did tell him I was a classic PAYG customer at the beginning of the chat, so just presumed he was correct. 

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

01,02 and 03(45) calls all standard rate.

https://news.o2.co.uk/press-release/o2-launches-simplest-ever-pay-go-tariff/

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/pay-as-you-go-charges-terms-classic-pay-as-you-go

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges

see the Freephone and service numbers part on link above

0800 and 0808 numbers
It’s free to call freephone numbers starting 0800 or 0808 from your mobile phone or landline. These changes came into effect on 1 July 2015, as part of the UK Calling changes.

UK landlines and mobile numbers
All standard UK landline numbers start with 01 or 02 and all UK mobile numbers start with 07. Calls and texts to these numbers are included in your minutes and texts as part of your tariff. You'll be charged at our standard UK rate if you're making calls or sending texts outside your allowance. 

There are some exceptions where you'll be charged for calling or texting 01, 02 and 07 numbers. For example, if the number is in Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, of if it's being used as a call forwarding service, you'll be charged extra, Check Service number and access charges to find out more about chargeable numbers.

03 Numbers

Ofcom has introduced 03 numbers as an alternative to chargeable 08 numbers like 0870.

Calls to 03 numbers will cost the same as other standard fixed line numbers starting 01 or 02, and are included as part of any inclusive or free minutes allowance on our tariffs. 

Re say no to 0800..............

Use the search to find alternative number near the top of the page use company name or phone number search boxes

SearchSearch to find an alternative number

https://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for those links LifeonMars, appreciate it. I typed in the 0345 prefix followed by the number and it was the same number on my letter, with the option of using the 0845 version. None of which are free calls though but never mind. If I`m stuck I will use my 02 mobile and get the call at 3p per minute if it means waiting on the line for 20 minutes! Prefer to use my home phone though when making service calls but seems this number is going to cost regardless of what device I use if I need to call it. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.