cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

070 numbers

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

070 numbers

I can't see in the tariff guide how much 070 numbers cost to call - this is one to a hospital phone service, where patients are given an 070 phone number for people to ring them direct.
All I can see are code numbers like pn1, pn2 etc and no indication as to which numbers fit which cost.
Any ideas? The initial message when I ring the number gives a horrendously expensive BT price and the calls I made aren't as yet showing on my calls list.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
24 REPLIES 24
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: 070 numbers

Hi,
Do you have the first 5 digits of the number? I should be able to see which call destination group it first in to.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if its like my local hospital, it is worse than an 09 call, most of the wards give out a normal number as they are fed up with the rip off
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

It's 07081.
I tried the ward number originally but you have to wait so long to reach it, with a long message about swine flu before you can input the extension number! Then, the person I was ringing wan't able to walk down to the phone, so I had to leave a message for them.
Sure it's a rip-off number from what it says about how much BT lines are charged and that mobiles are charged even more.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A friend was in Papworth Hospital and the phone service provided by a company called Patientline (now Hospedia).  Calls into the hospital to the bedside cost 39p a minute and outgoing calls cost 10p. After much pressure the ingoing charges were reviewed but I can't tell you what they are now.  A recorded message will tell you before putting you through.
Interestingly when my friend transferred to the private wing all calls were free. Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just found this which might help.
http://www.patientline.co.uk/using_ptl_sevices.htm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And they are such a good company that At Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford - the Home of Radio - Marconi, you cant get BBC Essex on that B sysytem Angry Angry Angry
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks for the info all. Yes Artmo, that looks like the system, or something very similar. Apparently the credit on the cards a patient can buy only lasts for a day which is why I've been asked to ring rather than being rung! Oh well, if it's cost an arm and a leg I'll just have to put up with it. The system says BT is 39p off-peak and 49p peak time, so I have a rough idea what the calls have cost! Unfortunately, the tariff my mobile phone is on doesn't seem to let me access such numbers though 070 is shown in the tariff price list at 20ppm. I've emailed a query to them and am awaiting a reply!
PS It's at a major London hospital rather than a local hospital.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

PP I'll mention your complaint to the chief exec when I speak to her next time.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not use a mobile?  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The trouble with these systems (and I've recent experience of them) is that they are a 100% privatised service that has to cover its costs. And the equipment (TV, radio etc.) has to meet stringent hospital safety, electrical interference, biohazard, cleaning ability etc. etc. standards appropriate to being part of a patients bedside environment so is NOT cheap to make and install.
It's definitely not your average phone and cable.  Cry
The whole idea of them was always misconceived in my view because of the cost/benefit mismatch.
In my recent experience (F-I-L in a coronary ward) the staff used to bring the cordless phone over from their desk to enable patients to take incoming calls from friends & family. But some people did actually use the entertainment system, we even considered it for him as we knew he'd be there for a week and you could buy a 5-day package at a not unreasonable price.
Edit: CofE - in general mobiles are not allowed in large parts of hospital. I think due to the risk of interfering with life-critical equipment.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I think the real reason for banning mobiles in hospitals is the inconvenience to other patients.  There was a report about a year ago which said there was no threat to interference with equipment.
I always find it funny that an NHS hospital asks you to not use a mobile whereas a private hospital has no such rule.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Interestingly enough I was told by a senior doctor over two years ago that the mobile phone rule was long irrelevent as surgeons use them in the theatre and hospital staff use them everywhere.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I always find it funny that an NHS hospital asks you to not use a mobile whereas a private hospital has no such rule.

and some of the NHS hospitals have mobile transmitters on the roof as they get paid for them.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
I think the real reason for banning mobiles in hospitals is the inconvenience to other patients. 

What is the difference between using a mobile or the supplied telephone system on the ward? I believe that a problem was with the contracts signed between the telphone/entertainment system supplier specifically having clauses banning mobiles which if not adhered will cost the hospital money.