Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xmass bargain 960gb ssd chepest i've seen

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

xmass bargain 960gb ssd chepest i've seen

for anyone looking at a large SSD for their pc Ebuyer are offering the SanDisk 960gb one for under £155 if you ad the promo code :
SSD
at the basket
linky http://www.ebuyer.com/665518-sandisk-960gb-ultra-ii-sataiii-2-5inch-ssd-sdssdhii-960g-g25?utm_source...

has anyone seen anything similar for such low prices ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: xmass bargain 960gb ssd chepest i've seen

Well Spotted, free delivery available too (you need to manually select free, up to 5 day shipping in place of the default next day to avoid £8.98 charge).
Pity I don't need one / can't afford one right now.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

well yeah I'm in that boat, well I never really "need" new pc gear but if I see a cheap upgrade patch and have the cash to hand when an offer crops up I will normally take advantage of it Smiley
still I figured others might not be and why should someone else miss out on something just because nobody bothered to inform them it existed /
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

That does seem great value - well spotted. I've been thinking for a while of mirroring my main system onto SSD, just put off a bit by the odd reports of early failures and of course the cost (plus I don't really need it, but that's another story  Wink ).
I think I might just take the plunge.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well spotted, certainly seems a bargain but how doesit compare to other SSD's on the market if we exclude price ?
What I am really asking is why are they selling it so cheap ? Has the price of SSD that size dropped in price recently or is there something else going on?
Wearing my paranoid hat today.. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: gleneagles

Don't worry about that, every one that talks about you says you're paranoid!  Grin
Community Veteran

Spec./speed is pretty good, warranty is 3 years. https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/ssd/ultra-ii-ssd#options-section
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

I haven't heard or read any more scare stories about sandisk compared to other manufacturers (actually some of the others have had far worse tales of woe) there price has always been competitive (lower) than the market leaders (Samsung) and this is a special xmass price so its lower still, amazon were doing them on black Friday for slightly less with Samsung drives rarely dropping below the £200 mark of a similar size.
if I had the money I would get one, I already have 3 sandisk drives In use for over a year and they work exactly the same as the more pricy Samsung ones, add ot that the price of SSD as it becomes more mainstream has dropped quite significantly in the last year especially now that much larger drives are starting to be made, the biggest holdback to larger drives has been poor memory controller performance for multi small file access, where standard 7200 spin disk outperformed them in enterprise scenario's but for the home user the speed boost associated with ssd's is difficult to beat and for those who need the larger storage in a single drive option this is often seen as better than the sshd route in both terms of reliability and smooth performance (but the latter is probably just subjective)
as with all things its personal choice and budget, but if thease had been this price 2 years ago I would of got them instead of the 250gb ones I did get /
Community Veteran

Hands up those who remember when a PC operating system came in the shape of a couple of floppy disks. I'll admit the SSD disks are progress.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mook

Don't worry about that, every one that talks about you says you're paranoid!  Grin
Didn't know I had so many fans.
Cheesy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Impulse Christmas present to myself is sorted then Grin
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Bought one, now, whether to use in my laptop or my desktop (latter presently has a Mushkin Chronos 120GB)....... Grin
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Hands up those who remember when a PC operating system came in the shape of a couple of floppy disks.

Sadly I remember when the OS was distributed on several paper-tapes  Sad.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I remember when the operating system was distributed on punch cards, plus paper-tapes and spool to spool on the mainframe computer.
We had them all at Commodore Business Machines.  Smiley  Wink
nanotm
Pro

we had a machine at work that took 14 hours to reprogram for each task you required it to perform through uv'ing it and then loading the next set of punched paper, funny thing all that paper equated to one side of my double density cd and was developed as a way of defeating the dreaded EMP that wiped out magnetic storage, the machine it was used to perform certain tests but had a standard rs232 connector for the controller unit and it took less than a month for a laptop connector to be created with the programing on a cd to get it ready for each task in seconds rather than days /