cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No not what you think...
I refer of course to window wide web, A moderate sized spider is, as I type this weaving a web across the outside my kitchen window. It is quite fascinating to watch him (I assume its a him) I hadn't realised they start with the radial structure first and, then go around in a spiral from the outside inwards.
Since it is very cold outside I said to SHMBO "shall I bring him in?" Strangely, her reply cannot be recorded here.
Should I sneak it in anyway?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: www

That could get you banned if not worse - someone might let on to SWMBO  Shocked
nadger
Rising Star

When I was training as an optical instrument mechanic in REME, during National Service, we were taught how to collect spiders web from spinets at rear of spider.
This was used to create the cross hairs in gun sights and was held in place with shellac  Smiley
Community Veteran

I like spiders.  If I see one trying desperately to climb out of the sink I'll help him so that he can be on his way Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I hate the things.. they're disgusting creatures but i still can't kill them.
2 living above the front door... they've finally got the hint now that when the outside light is on they should hide back in their little holes. Prior to that they'd just sit out above the door lurking menacingly looking for something to stick their fangs into. We have this unwritten silent agreement - they hide when the outside light is on and I ignore them.
One of the little gits had a lady there one night - I opened the door peeped up and there she was - underneath the cobweb in a position where if she fell she'd land on my head so I nabbed her with the spider catcher and relocated her. I wasn't happy about this breach of the arrangement so relocated her to a different location (a bush the other side of the road) and after that he had a neighbour turn up - a huge brute which is worse than the original spider. Thankfully both have now learnt the run and hide rule but it was touch and go for a while there.
Also saw a hornet flying around there one evening in the summer as it was getting dark. It just seemed to vanish around the gutter area so I'm sure it either got nabbed or setup home inside there somewhere as it never came back out (and they're big enough and loud enough that you'd notice it when you're working out there as its getting dark)  Shocked
Spiders in the shed however.. now they're totally unfair. They're not 'tame' so refuse to play by my rules. I got one big ugly brute right above the door where I've got a stash of things. You think I dare go in there? Nope... and the SO went in there and bravely got rid of them all for me in the summer too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I didn't use to like them, I suppose I don't really like them now, but since discovering some time ago they do a good job of catching flies and other flying nasties I'm much more tolerant of them.
Coming up plug-holes they don't seem to need any help!!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
someone might let on to SWMBO

No one here I trust Shocked

randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Coming up plug-holes they don't seem to need any help!!

They fall / crawl into the bath; they would need to get passed the U bend.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2010/nov/03/sheffield-fc-first-british-club
(Scroll down a bit to get to the spider bit)
Community Veteran

Arachnology - The study of Spiders

Spiders
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
Since it is very cold outside I said to SHMBO "shall I bring him in?" Strangely, her reply cannot be recorded here.
Should I sneak it in anyway?

That you are even considering that suggests that the contents of your sig panel is apt - either that or that it should instead read "When will I ever learn ...?"
Tongue  Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Last year, or at least I think it was last year, I once had two spiders fall on me in one day – one of them was whilst I was attending to the call of nature. Thankfully they were only small spiders!
magnetism2772
Grafter

I can remember  time when a spider was my only friend
So I let them in  
and one has made its home in my bathroom  all  week
Yes I  like them
smiffyb36
Grafter

A study done into web making whilst spiders were subjected to doses of common drugs  Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

lol funny vid
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have heard of orb webs and funnel webs, but this glory was on my front hedge this morning, it had a very fine bed, with a loose, sort of funnel over the top