rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

worst broadband

oh dear http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-40757817

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
25 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: worst broadband

No surprises there and hardly news as many remote and rural areas were always going to be down the pecking order and less important than others - which I suppose stands to reason. What irritated was being fobbed for years and a lack of honesty by providers where instead of being told we were in a rubbish area suck it up, it was always a case of we'll get it sorted which they never could and by the way, we'll still charge you the same amount per month as Joe Blogs with his UK average of 17mbps.

Do they pay less for their internet in highlands and islands? I doubt it, we never did here in west Wales. FTTP has been a life saver for the few but it was never going to get better or so it seemed using that below par telephone line.

And for the Welsh, there's always this

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

There is a project called Long Reach VDSL being trialled at the moment, but how long it will take to prove then roll out is anyone's guess. I also saw this article on the BBC where BT offers BB for 99% of the UK, but the cynic in me can't help but think they're only saying that to prevent the legislation being proposed.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Mook wrote:

I also saw this article on the BBC where BT offers BB for 99% of the UK, but the cynic in me can't help but think they're only saying that to prevent the legislation being proposed.

I live in a 'Bermuda triangle' for broadband.  I'm not in some vast rural hinterland (25 miles SW of Cambridge and 30 miles N of London)  but faster Broadband is on a rolling "Next year".  Only recently upgraded to ADSL2 with planned Fibre upgrade reverted to "Under consideration". 

Add me to the list of sceptics.   Grin  Sad

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

BT are Full of good ideas , but sadly lacking on action Shocked

only interested in sevices that will make money !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

shock horror a commercial company only interested in profit.
who'd have thought !
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@chenks76  Point is BT keeps making promises to improve the network , but nowt ever emerges and customers are left without a decent connection !

Community Veteran

the CEO's role in a Plc is ensure the business makes a profit for the benefit of the shareholders.
where's the incentive to spend money on imrpoving a network in areas where there will be little return.
it makes zero business sense.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

So customers have to suffer because the CEO dont like spending on infrastructure ,  Strange how they can build HS2 and crossrail Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Don't forget the massive underground expansion with no expense spared.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mook wrote:

There is a project called Long Reach VDSL being trialled at the moment, but how long it will take to prove then roll out is anyone's guess. I also saw this article on the BBC where BT offers BB for 99% of the UK, but the cynic in me can't help but think they're only saying that to prevent the legislation being proposed.

This link, although over a year old may interest some. One aspect is to do with the increased power requirement and current ADSL lines.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

So customers have to suffer because the CEO dont like spending on infrastructure ,  Strange how they can build HS2 and crossrail Shocked

what does HS2 and crossrail have to do with BT.

and it's not that thte CEO doesn't like spending on infrastructure, it's spending on something that they are unlikely ever to recoup any profit on.
BT is a business, not a charity.

if the governemnt want to guarantee everyone a minimum speed then let them pay for it via taxation.
i bet you'd see people change their tune about infrastructure when they realise they would be paying for it to be installed in the middle of nowhere whilst they live in the city.

Fixes: 47

Internet access is close to being an essential service like energy and water.

Some would say it already is and therefore needs to be more closely monitored by its regulator, OFCOM.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

problem is that this essential service and its network is owned by a Plc.
ofcom can't force a Plc to invest money where there is little chance of a return.

however, viewing netflix and uploading cat videos to facebook isn't essential, and as such who's to say that 2Mbps isn't enough for what would be essential internet access.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Soros is one of the major backers of Hyperoptic who provide fast symmetric FTTP to homes and businesses. He won't invest unless he expects a hefty profit.  You can get 1 Gbps up/down for £47/month from them.

Strangely BT seem to think it's not worth investing in pure fibre to the home.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.