cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

world cup

thisoldman
Grafter

world cup

Well its comming to an end  and one thing i wont miss is that selfindulgent ,patronising,arrogant, ignoramous who hosts the itv footie; namely adrian childs.
He looks very much like the dog in the churchill tv adverts.............and his sidekick.......one  g  southgate couldnt  tell a defender from a midfield player but then  we all know his record with middlesborogh. How he has the temerity tobe on tv commentating
is  like something from alice in wonderland.
As for the bbc team ......well gary should go back to his day job swweping the floor at walkers crisps.
29 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: world cup

Does one detect another non football fan  Wink
thisoldman
Grafter

no. i just dont like  patronising cows like childs or closet gays like southgate  or    commentators who think they know anything and everything about footie.  Most of them are  useles, totally useless.
Community Veteran

I'm not a football fan (although rugby - or proper football as I think of it - has the same problems)  It's a really difficult job.  You have to balance a knowledge of the game with the ability to communicate that knowledge.
Now, many overpaid, self indulgent prim a donas  sorry footballers may know quite a bit about the game and the other overpaid, self indulgent prim a donas, but usually they have only a basic command of speech, and polysyllables leave them completely dumbfounded.  So they've got to find someone who knows enough about the game, but can also speak English (and preferably someone who could manage to find a shift key on a keyboard)
They need to be clever, articulate and also know enough about the game to be able to talk meaningfully about it.  My experience of most football fans, is that if they knew as much as they thought they knew, then they'd be able to earn as much money as those
Quote from: thisoldman
... patronising cows like childs or closet gays like southgate  or     commentators who think they know anything and everything about footie....

Crazy Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

didnt think that there are any football fans who meet those requirements
this mornings news.  A spanish fan is flying from the Caneries, to Mainland and then taking a Day return down south, cost 2800 Euro
Community Veteran

Looks like they should have relied on Paul the Octopus - his forecasts seem to be spot on and he thinks Spain will win tonight Smiley
Paul the Octopus
And he was born in England Wink
Hawks
Grafter

It's a close call between the irritation factor of Adrian Chiles and Gary Linneker but I'll be plumping for the BBC coverage.  Mr Chiles' really annoying habit of repeating words when he is talking (when he is talking) is just too much (too much).  Someone should tell him about it (about it) !  Grin
And while I'm getting it of my chest, why is it that both channels need to have so many 'free loaders' (so called pundits) swanning about in South Africa? 
Community Veteran

I wonder what the BBC will have paid to stage the WC Undecided  Licence payers will have a shock if they knew I bet.
Another thing I am amused by.  Why is it necessary for both BBC and ITV to show the final tonight?  Not much choice on the main channels for non-footie viewers Roll eyes
Fixes: 104

See the octopus may have been right, but the overseas contractors have so far predicted the losing team (actually by saying the support them for that game Cheesy ) and they have all said spain will win.
That means it'll be penalties Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

If Paul gets it wrong guess someone will be having calamaris for dinner Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
Another thing I am amused by.  Why is it necessary for both BBC and ITV to show the final tonight?  Not much choice on the main channels for non-footie viewers Roll eyes

Yep - I guess it's going to be one of those nights where the DVD rental stores will be busy, as people have no other option to avoid it Grin
Community Veteran

@thisoldman
I say, steady on old chap. Mr Southgate has a nice wife and two kids to look after.
Mr Childs, I agree with you, is a complete twat as is the ITV person who employed him. I speak from experience having met said Mr Childs on several occasions.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
Paul the Octopus
And he was born in England Wink
And thats something every english man/woman should be proud of, Indeed prouder of that English octopus rather than the English Footie Team Grin Grin Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and I thought that Calimari  (No S)  came from the Squid
Octopi in spanish is Polpo, likewise Italian
Community Veteran

For the pedants:

The squid is a mollusk related to the cuttlefish and octopus. It has ten tentacles, and like its cousin, the octopus, it also has a protective mechanism which releases a dark ink into the water.
Correct Spanish spelling: Pulpos