cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless / wifi

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

wireless / wifi

I think most of you know i'm not keen on this tech.. especially around 7up jnr however i'm currently being forced to use it for various reasons and i must say... it's incredibly handy.
I'm out in the kitchen at the moment having just used it to lookup some phone numbers and make some calls... makes me realise just how much i missed it.
The danger is i'm going to get addicted.. and connect everything by wireless... and then the whole house will be a microwave  Crazy
Does anyone else still use good old ethernet or are you all toast? Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
16 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: wireless / wifi

Rarely used desktop and laptop in the 'office' upstairs are ethernet, but downstairs laptop (and of course Ipad) are wireless.
John
Fixes: 104

mix of both - though wireless is predominant I guess.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Haven't you made yourselves hats from aluminium cooking foil yet  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PlusComUK
I also LAN backup to an older iMac
Using LAN, I can copy GB's in minutes, it's very fast.
Wi-fi too, but that takes longer of course.

I also use a combination of Wi-fi and Bluetooth, Wi-fi to watch SKY News Live on my Tablet, connected via Bluetooth to a decent loudspeaker.......... in the Kitchen !
And PLEX using Wi-fi and SKY Now TV Box, though less enamoured with that, as the iMac I am using as Source has to be left on. (If I remember correctly)
Tried it, don't use it any more
Wi-fi, it's great for connecting two Smartphones, or one with a Tablet, used as Babycam, though mainly used for spot coverage when expecting a parcel delivery.
You can also enter the source Wi-fi address onto your computer, and observe it that way
A bit more flexible than the wired CCTV system.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

as with most others I hard wire the stuff that needs it like consoles and pc's and the tablets and phones are wifi, however despite having various smart appliances only the two set top boxes are connected, I don't se the point in connecting the other "smart" devices when they don't even have the basic abilities to stop unwanted connections, I used to have cctv connected but the camera kept phoning home to check for updates and keeping the connection open in the router so now that's a non networked device as well/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Only moved to WiFi about a year ago but it has become something of an addiction, prior to that it was a wired desktop but now with wifi I can sit with my feet up and type this on a tablet, it also pushed me into getting a wifi printer thus making me even lazier.
The wired desktop is now mainly used for photographs or odd bits of stuff on the internet via Linux.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I am 90+% ethernet.
TV/stb/android tv box, pc's all ethernet.
Phone & tablets wifi
Community Veteran

I use a mix of WiFi, CAT6 hardwired and Through the Mains Power  networking connection. Only the hardwired network is totally reliable, but our place is a Grade II listed building with stone wall which are in places 2 ft thick so running network cables is not an easy option.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

+1
Indoor walls are far too thick for WiFi, it's cabled ethernet for us. Then use pairs of  P2P WiFi repeaters to get to other buildings.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
pc's all ethernet.
Phone & tablets wifi

Exactly.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: 7up
Does anyone else still use good old ethernet or are you all toast? Cheesy

I use wifi and ethernet.
2 Sky Boxs using Sky ADSL what is Free for the first year.
Ethernet for the computers provided from Virgin Media‎ using a cable modem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My smart TV, my media server/NVR, my PS3 & 4, my desktop PC and my little Lenovo SFF under the TV are usually connected by Ethernet (though 3 cables between 6 devices means a bit of cable swapping!), everything else is wireless... Smiley
nanotm
Pro

why not get a switch and have them all wired up all the time ? its what I've done with most of my stuff that needs wiring in, 1 wire from router to equipment nest end switch and then all the items plugged in there, rinse and repeat as necessary Tongue
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

I rarely use ethernet these days.
Laptop, tablets and phone on 2.4Ghz and Rokus on 5Ghz
Did check latest NowTV box using ethernet during trial.