Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows experience

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

windows experience

On a previous post , "how often do you upgrade " got me wondering as i self build , it got me thinking how do PN members  compare their PC,s
i know you can benchmark with PCmark , or Unigine  but the basic windows experience is good start .
so i will start with mine  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
13 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: windows experience

here's mine
I don't think the WEI is anything to go by though its just a marker of which generation of hardware you have,  mine was getting 7.9 across the board when it was new but the drives went down to 5.9 before I upgraded them (due to failures) and sprung for an ssd in the process and now there are new generations they're back down to 7.5 again .....
besides the 1055t is a 6 core cpu and still beats some of the newer stuff when transcoding with the 16 gig of ram coupled to it .... yet it produces glitchy frame rates in some games compared to the newer a8-5600k and they both have the r9-270x gfx card....
besides a new cpu would mean a new mobo and new ram which is expensive especially when it still works fine for what I need Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I used to do all sorts of benchmarking when I built my first gaming PC including over clocking the CPU and fiddling with the memory timings etc. Since then I just don't bother I just build a rig which gives the best bang for the buck
My present one was quite well balanced with the CPU being a bit better than the GPU but the whole thing was designed to be quiet
I then changed the GPU to get more memory on it and the capability to play the latest FPS games
Subsequently I bought Thief 3 and found that my CPU really struggled but it was playable when set to 32 bit
I have looked at incremental improvements and I can change the CPU from a Core2 Duo to a Core2 Quad (second hand off Ebay) which would help. But since I won't be playing that game again - it was basically boring badly designed rubbish - I haven't done it
The Windows Experience is shown but to be honest it is almost totally meaningless if you want to see how the PC will perform in demanding tasks
I am note sure why the disk performance is so low but I don't really care as I went for a quiet build
Fixes: 47

This stuff won't run on my PC Cry
Hence http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129806.0.html
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

In which case putting in a highly expensive SSD doesn't seem too cost effective
As an aside I don't much care about boot up times as I only reboot it when there is a Windows update or after a power cut - I use sleep mode in W7
How did your W7 installation get into such a mess as mine is still working fine as I was one of the very early adopters

It won't run because windows is broken.
Very little in Control Panel does.
Community Veteran

As I said in my edit - how on Earth did you manage to break it to that extent

No idea....and I've also no idea why I can still post to this forum on it.
The SSD is a bit of future proofing as well as a speed boost in general.
Community Veteran

Win7 Pro is still OK here but it will not be long (?) before it will all be Linux!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There are not many fans of windows 8 once support for windows 7 ends one solution might be to use windows off line and Linux on line
Community Veteran

gleneagles, is it not easier to use linux all the time?  i find it so.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not in my case, there are a number of program's that will not run in Linux, even wine does not cover everything.
One example is my printer, having spent hours trying to get it to run on Linux and following advice from the Linux forum and downloading the various packages needed I have ended up copying stuff whilst using Linux and then saving it as a  .doc file and then using windows office to print it which means rebooting into windows to complete the task.
No way would my scanner work until I got Viewscan a paid for program which works fine.
nanotm
Pro

Linux is getting better as an operating platform for the non geek minded but it still has some way to go for it to be convenient for a lot of home users, maybe if there was only one distro it would be simpler but unfortunately there's far to many and half of them are frankly bad as a home user who wants to plug n play with everything just works
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Hello...does anyone speak English?Huh
I haven't got a clue what you all talking about. I just know I can play world of warcraft, on a reasonable setting.
I've looked at the Windows 'thingy'  (I'm getting the hand of this technobabble ) and it tells me I'm between 5.5 and 7.5. But for what I haven't a clue. I just know it tells me I need to upgrade my graphics- but as I'm using a laptop that's not happening.
I don't hold a lot of faith in these tests. I checked my old laptop, an E machines E520, on 'can you play that game?' Site.
It said no, no, no.
Which was strange as I had been playing it for over a year on the same laptop.
If I find I can't achieve what I want on a computer I will simply buy a new one. Smiley