Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why did this ever go to court

pierre_pierre
Grafter

why did this ever go to court

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11635297
The court was told Mr Rider was driving a DAF LGV and was pulling out on to the main road from Box End Road, Bromham, Bedfordshire, on 13 May 2009 when a silver BMW crashed into him.

Accident investigator Pc John Spears said calculations had put the speed of the BMW at between 115 and 117mph on the 60mph limit road.
He said the anti-locking braking system was not working and a blood sample taken from Mr Tandy gave a reading of 142 milligrammes of alcohol in the blood when the legal driving limit is 80.

3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: why did this ever go to court

No idea. What gets me is this at the bottom:
The judge later told the jury: "The case is inherently weak. You could not properly convict him on the evidence you have heard."
However, she said it had been right that the evidence was tested in court.

How is it right that some lorry driver who is driving legally who is the victim of a speeding drink driver is taken to court in an attempted prosecution? - Is she mad?
I thought Cameron was putting an and to all of this. It reminds me of that bloke who was busted for running into a police car which hit him and knocked him down.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and the poor sod has had that hanging over him since May 2009
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Not nice I can tell you from personal experience.
I had a brush with the law years ago... they basically tried to stitch me right up. Luckily I had my wits about me as they really tried to nail me for something I hadn't done and I turned the entire case around and pointed out their own internal errors, incorrect facts and possible corruption.
Needless to say after the rest of the dim life the state has forced me to live I have very little respect for the authorities in this country.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!