cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why all the fuss?

thisoldman
Grafter

why all the fuss?

The tv and papers are full of the news about  the forthcomming royal wedding ,and what fine fellows william and harry  have become.
William studied art history for a dgree course, and harry managed. despite some controversy, to obtain 2 A levels in art and geography.
History of Art is one of the weakest, mickey mouse degree courses in the uk, and a D in geography is hardly anything for his father to boast about.
Much is made of their service in the armed forces, and their spells in afghanistan.  If truth be told, they are so protected and wrapped in carpet slippers that Ladbrokes would not take bets on them being ever harmed or facing any real danger.
A few years ago a colleague had the misfortune to witness their behaviours in a london nightclub. He was very dismissal
of their behaviour especially drunken harry.
So lets not get too carried away with the royals.They are intellectual pussycats.
Lets give more credit to the nameless soldiers who face real danger every day in iraq and afghanistan, to the young people from
deprived social backgrounds who manage to  get to university and study for a real degree.
10 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: why all the fuss?

Quote from: thisoldman
Lets give more credit to the nameless soldiers who face real danger every day in iraq and afghanistan, to the young people from
deprived social backgrounds who manage to  get to university and study for a real degree.

I've waited a long time to say this.....Hear, Hear T_O_M, I agree completely
I don’t take any great interest in the royal family but I get the impression that William is a bit more level headed than Harry. Media’s gone into a complete frenzy, though the Beeb have finally removed this as the banner headlines from their website. Am I the only one to view this as a bit of a non-story?  I think it’s going to be a bumpy ride
thisoldman
Grafter

thank you rand.

I saw a documentary last night on child carers, who struggle to support their parents without any offical help.That really impressed me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Most of last nights news on the television was taken up with this, fortunately I was out and missed it but the papers were full of it, unfortunately it's going to run on and on.
The worry is that more relevant items will not be published and in their place a load of speculation of where they will marry, who will wear what along with a load of other rubbish.
Good Luck to them and all the best for the future but I don't want to keep hearing about it.
nadger
Rising Star

Personally I think the Royal Family are, with certain exceptions, well worth my 65p per annum  Smiley
I certainly hope the couple will be happy but I don't envy their having to start life together living in a goldfish bowl.
N/A

All I can say about the forthcoming royal wedding is that I hope it is equal to the one of his parents, the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1981.
I have very happy memories of the day which I spent with my mum and friend (both now deceased) and I am very much looking forward to this one, despite my not being exactly an ardent royalist. 
What we all need at times is a real boost to lift us out of the doldrums and to unite the nation.  If this wedding does that then all well and good.
Community Veteran

The hot tip is for Saturday 13th August, and since my 30th wedding anniversary is on Monday 15th August, I'd be happy for the government to give everyone a holiday to commemorate the day (my anniversary that is of course)  Cool
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

An american tv news channel, announced it as... "........... the future King of England........ announced his engagement....."...
Erm.... hang on a minute... Elizabeth is still Queen.. and we don`t know how long she will last...
Charles, is next to "have a go"..... and we don`t know how long he will last...
so when will "Old Bill" become King?  Certainly not in my lifetime....!  Cheesy
N/A

That's funny Shutter - I was just thinking today that 'im indoors and myself might never see a King William and Queen Katherine.
Don't mind though as I hope that Queen Elizabeth remains well and is with us for quite a few more years yet. 
I can't seem to summon up any enthusiasm for a King Charles though!
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
<snip> but I don't envy their having to start life together living in a goldfish bowl.
They won't be living in a goldfish bowl, it's worse than that, they will have to live on Anglesey.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well I wish them all the best and a nice wedding - as long as WE are not paying for it.
Her parents are multi millionaires and the royals speak for themselves. As long as they pay for their own wedding I don't give a rats.
As for the nightclub comment, in reality, who hasn't had a youth huh? - The lads lost their mum when they were what... 11 ish? - It doesn't matter what you say or who she was she was still their mum and they lost her.
A lot of young people do stupid things - especially in night clubs. Some bottle each other, others stab someone, some just end up in the cells while others just have a verbal spat or just go home. I think we can all say we've got friends who saw this or that but at the end of the day its CHINEESE WHISPERS.
I do however feel that the upper classes do try to tread us all down and stay amongst themselves. I suppose thats just the way it is but if we're then mugged to finance their wedding when they can all afford it then I feel that they will be taking the mick.
I do however feel very sorry for Kate. They've only just announced it officially and already the media are all over her. How long before the cheap papers with no respect start chasing her around and making her life a living hell like Dianas? - Not long. Already the press are banging on about Diana and comparing the two, Kate's going to have a very hard life now. I just hope that she's going to be allowed to live it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!