cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why Wellingborough?

Community Veteran

why Wellingborough?

Each time I go to Google it has my location down as Wellingborough, UK. I am nowhere near Wellingborough. Is this the location of a PN data centre or BT hub through which I'm connected?
podman
7 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: why Wellingborough?

its thinks I am in Bristol  176 miles to go
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I once logged on to google using my Kindle and it put me in the Republic of Ireland  Huh
You have to give Google permission to use your correct location an it will correctly place you.
I seem to remember there is a website where you can register your connection and give your true address. I did it once but on reflection is it a good idea Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

IMO it depends how accurate you wish, need to be. In preference to a village or small town I'd input a larger big shops one.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

If you go to http://www.google.co.uk/
then enter something in the 'search' box and press <Enter>
this takes you to the "Search" results screen.
Now there should be a column down the left hand side with various Google links, one of those shown is "Change location"
If you enter your nearest town and hit [Set], then Google will remember your locality, without knowing your exact location, address, or postcode.
Setting your location in this way is very useful if you are using Google to search for something you intend to buy, because once you have entered the description of the item you are searching for, you can press the [Shopping] link, and it will now give you results that include references to "Nearby stores".
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I agree this topic didn't belong in broadband and routers, but it is a genuine technical query so it shouldn't be in Chit Chat. How about Other Queries?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Keep it in chit chat.... cos it gives us something to do !..
I live in Kensington, according to google.... !... (glad I don`t, with the price of the houses there ! )...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I had wondered where to ask. I put it in Broadband and Routers as it is related to my broadband connection. Thought chit chat was for things like football and rugby scores etc.