cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

OK as some one who was using the M! at that time, the Motoorway speed limit was introduced as Jauguar and Astom Martin were doing flat out runs, and uproar ensued.
Secondly, the Motorway speed limit is not the national one, the only place you will see a 70MPH speed limit sign is on a motorway, the othe types of road have a National speed limit sign
Funny I cant find the picture of the 70 sign and this cart before124 lunps all together
Speed limits Built-up areas *Single carriage-waysDual carriage-ways Motorways
Type of vehiclemph (km/h)mph (km/h)mph (km/h)mph (km/h)
Cars & motorcycles
(including car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight)

30 (4Cool60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

http://www.gbclassiccars.co.uk/ac_cobra.html
(For several years the AC Cobra held the title of being the fastest production car in the world. It is worth mentioning at this point, that in 1964 an AC Cobra was recorded travelling at a speed of 183 mph on the M1 motorway causing questions to be raised in parliament. Legend has it that this event led to the introduction of a 70 mph speed limit on UK motorways)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

and who was this "Leg End" ... (legend)  ?
of course..... "Michael Foot  Cheesy
Fixes: 266

Perhaps among the most dangerous are Sat-Nav Racers
Millions of motorists are apparently racing against their satnavs and many are engaging in manoeuvres including overtaking on blind bends, tailgating, flashing their lights or gesticulating at other drivers to do so.

Until now, most complaints about the technology, which uses the Global Positioning System (GPS), have centred on heavy lorries being sent down narrow country lanes and drivers directed along roads that no longer exist.
But the devices give a minimum time to reach a given destination assuming the motorist travels at the maximum permitted speed along the suggested route. Beating the time, therefore, invariably means breaking the law.

Is this really a new thing or just an extension of the old 'let's see if I can shave a few seconds off my last journey time'?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

perhaps they should fit a sat-nav to each contestant in the marathons.... or running track events.... Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
But the devices give a minimum time to reach a given destination assuming the motorist travels at the maximum permitted speed along the suggested route. Beating the time, therefore, invariably means breaking the law.

From my experience TomTom sat nav's give very realistic time of arrival figures. But I do beat them normally by 10 minutes for a hour and half journey but I do drive after 7pm and the roads are cleared.
gswindale
Grafter

hmm most satnavs I've used seem to update their ETA in real time therefore adjusting for traffic etc.  I don't think I've ever arrived anywhere before the satnav said I would unless I'd got the location a little bit wrong :-)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Agree with that geoffswin. My Navman adjusts its TOA quite quickly. Yesterday being a case in point, returning from Hayling Island. Getting stuck in three seperate major traffic jams. two on the A3 and one on the M25. The Sat Nav still under estimated our arrival at home.
Er no! I don't need a Sat Nav for the A3 or M25. I just keep it on for fun. Although I did attempt to avoid the huge backlog at the Devils Punchbowl. But simply ran into a different jam.
For those who know that section of the A3 the new tunnel should be open northbound today (a day too late for me) the southbound was opened earlier in the week. But still has lane restrictions on the approach causing its own jam.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Secondly, the Motorway speed limit is not the national one, the only place you will see a 70MPH speed limit sign is on a motorway, the othe types of road have a National speed limit sign

Are you sure about that Pierre?
Whilst travelling round the wonderful M25 this weekend I frequently saw lower speed limits followed by the national speed limit symbol - at no point was there ever a 70mph sign visible?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

did you read the rest of my post?

Funny I cant find the picture of the 70 sign and this cart before124 lunps all together
Speed limits Built-up areas *Single carriage-waysDual carriage-ways Motorways
Type of vehiclemph (km/h)mph (km/h)mph (km/h)mph (km/h)
Cars & motorcycles
(including car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight)

30 (4Cool60 (96)70 (112)70 (112)

Just been along the M6 around Birminghan, lost of variable speed limits and Gatso cameras