Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

gswindale
Grafter

Re: who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

Quote from: wisty
I seem to remember reading that the safest speed on any road was the average speed of the traffic on that road - but I can't source the reference.

That is pretty much true & also the most efficient use of our road space is to pack it all up like a car park.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I think maybe we should have MINIMUM speed lanes like the autobahn has, i.e. if you are doing less than 50 get out of this lane etc, or be charged..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Hairy Biker....... excellent idea.
One of my bugbears is when one HGV overtakes another with a speed differential of around 1mph, they manage to block two lanes of the motorway for miles, channelling everything into the outside lane Crazy
Community Veteran

There are now some sections of road where that is specifically prohibited.
Elephant racing is one term for it: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/250246/lorry_overtaking_ban_halts_elephant_racing....
nadger
Rising Star

As one gets nearer to the next world ones sense of urgency, in this world, diminishes  Cool
Fixes: 225

Yes you start to wish the brakes were more efficient......and reverse gear disappears entirely Sad

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.3 (64-bit)

Community Veteran

The ban on HGV vehicles in the outer lane on three lane motorways was introduced first on the M1 motorway prior to the National Speed Limit of 70mph. They found that heavy lorries overtaking three abreast was particularly dangerous on hill sections. The vehicles would be grinding up hill at about 35 mph and faster cars like Jaguars travelling at 100 mph (and 1960 style of drum breaks) had nowhere to go and couldn't stop in time. As a consequence the car would slam into the back of the lorry.
Incidentally the original primary reason for the 70 mph national speed limit was not safety. The primary reason was fuel economy at a time of national fuel shortage. I was working for the plans for fuel rationing at the time and helped design the rationing documents. In the event the plans were not enacted.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Elephant racing is one term for it:

Good expression Grin Grin
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Incidentally the original primary reason for the 70 mph national speed limit was not safety. The primary reason was fuel economy at a time of national fuel shortage. I was working for the plans for fuel rationing at the time and helped design the rationing documents. In the event the plans were not enacted.

Are you sure? The 70mph speed limit was introduced 22nd December 1965 and safety was cited as the main reason.
Community Veteran

@itsme is correct.
Limits on other roads (not motorways) were reduced many years later in response to oil shortages.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/15/newsid_2559000/2559807.stm
Community Veteran

Yes Itsme you are right.  I was confusing it with the national speed limit being reduced to 50 mph from 70 mph during the 1973 fuel crisis.  Thanks for the correction.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Sorry to correct you again but the speed limits were a bit confusing in the 70's. Half the time I was not sure what the speed limit was !!
I believe that motorways retained the 70mph limit but dual carriageways were reduced to 60mph and other roads to 50mph. But I have a recollection that the 50mph was raised to 60mph before returning back to the national speed limit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Hairy
I think maybe we should have MINIMUM speed lanes like the autobahn has, i.e. if you are doing less than 50 get out of this lane etc, or be charged..

Isn't that pretty much the point I was getting at when I said slower vehicles like lorries, busses, old pensioners etc should be confined to the left?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: okrzynska
Isn't that pretty much the point I was getting at when I said slower vehicles like old pensioners etc should be confined to the left?
I personally think that anyone with less than a 50 year clean driving licence shouldn't be allowed on the road but that might be viewed as ageist  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

You know what i mean Tongue
Ok left lane for anyone doing 60 or less. middle lane is fixed at 70, right lane is for overtaking only with a tolerance of 80 (which at 10% + 2mph would be 79mph so round it up).
That would end the middle lane hog debate. It would end the speeding in the right lane debate, it would end the lorries/trucks on the motorways debate.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!