cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

The remedy for people driving at excessive speed in a restricted area is an automatic  six month driving ban. On the second offence a twelve month ban and confiscation of the vehicle. A third offence would be a 5 year driving ban.
For those people moaning about other road users going too slowly perhaps a reminder that the 70 mph speed limit is a maximum speed limit not a minimum.  For the offence of tail gating see the penalty proposed for speeding.
The BOLOCS crew will be dispersed when their speed is constrained to the speed limit.
I have no particular support for drivers who hog the middle lane on a motor way, They usually use such a technique because they feel incompetent to drive on a motorway. Perhaps they should be relieved of that burden by banning them from motorways until they've undertaken a motorway driving test  under the supervision of an instructor. I'd suggest the USA regulation of allowing overtaking on either side  (on the freeway) should be allowed, believe me you soon get used to checking the lane is free before you pull into it. It would reduce the effects of road hogs.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I personally feel that the motorways should work like this:
Left lane: Lorrys, Busses, Cars driven by pensioners etc
Middle lane: Cars
Right lane: Overtaking.
Seeing as the limit is 70 anyway then the theory is that if you're all in the middle lane doing 70 no-one has a need to overtake anyone. If you come across the odd idiot doing 60 then you have a lane to overtake on.
Why you need 3 lanes for a limit of 70 is beyond me. It's as if the motorist is actually being encouraged to break the speed limit.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

More lanes are there to provide more traffic capacity.
Many motorways started (and some still are) just 2 lanes.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
The remedy for people driving at excessive speed in a restricted area is an automatic  six month driving ban. On the second offence a twelve month ban and confiscation of the vehicle. A third offence would be a 5 year driving ban

I disagree with this - primarily because I disagree with the speed limit system as it stands.
There is, for instance, nothing inherently wrong with doing 80/85 on a clear motorway in good weather other than the fact the limit is 70.
There is however something seriously wrong with doing 40 on a motorway in a torrential thunderstorm where visibilty is practically nil.
Similarly is there any need to do 20 in a school street during the holidays or at other times when the kids are not on the road?
I would therefore support the "safe speed" viewpoint rather than "speed limit" viewpoint.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

@okrzynska
Cheeky sod
Us pensioners are quite capable of driving at 70mph where appropriate
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I'd suggest the USA regulation of allowing overtaking on either side  (on the freeway) should be allowed, believe me you soon get used to checking the lane is free before you pull into it. It would reduce the effects of road hogs.

Most of my driving on Freeways have been dual lanes and lane discipline has been very good partly I believe as roads run more freely than the UK and cruise control actually work as once overtaken the other car is not seen again. Unlike the UK  were cars are swapping road position several times.
I don't think we should adopt undertaking but other USA  systems we should consider. First being turn on right, but in the UK it will be turn on left and traffic light control on slip roads joining busy junctions on motorway/dual carriageways. Not the system employed on the M6 were all car are stopped on the bottom of the slip road but were cars are released one at a time at the top of the slip road at intervals of 3 to 5 seconds. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and has Ozy even driven on a Motorway and seen the person hunched over the steering wheel doing 45 down the middle lane with at 48 tonne truck up his jacksy as he is not allowed in the RH lane
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
48 tonne truck up his jacksy

No excuse for that it's dangerous driving (by the truck)  Angry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

depends how big his jacksy is, I didnt say tailgating
Community Veteran

I didnt say tailgating

Well, everyone I know personally would read it that way.  Wink
Or you could edit your post to say "following at a safe distance, allowing for the larger braking distance of a truck".  Cool
KenA
Grafter

My mum once told me that the most dangerous drivers on the roads are the over 70s doing under 20, and the under 20s doing over 70.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Oldjim
@okrzynska
Cheeky sod
Us pensioners are quite capable of driving at 70mph where appropriate

I wasn't talking of the younger pensioners, I'm talking about the 90 year old grannies and grandads.. you know the ones who are always saying "Whats the rush?".
and has Ozy even driven on a Motorway and seen the person hunched over the steering wheel doing 45 down the middle lane with at 48 tonne truck up his jacksy as he is not allowed in the RH lane

1) Yes, frequently, almost every day for the last 3 years
2) Well thats why the big lorry should be in the left lane as I said. Lorries are not allowed in the right hand lane now anyway so even when they're stuck behind someone in the middle lane it would make no difference.
I suppose what i'm saying is its fine as it is but cars shouldn't be allowed in the left lane without good reason so the trucks can stay out of drivers way and cars can stay out of trucks way.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 6

I seem to remember reading that the safest speed on any road was the average speed of the traffic on that road - but I can't source the reference.
Fixes: 266

What I find extremely frustrating are those lorry drivers over-taking other lorries by 1mph (sometimes on a hill) on a two-lane carriageway.
Car stopping distances are much shorter than they were in the 60's when the 70mph speed limit was introduced (although thinking time is still the same). Plus cars have many more safety features avalable. How feasible would it to increase the over-taking lane speed limit on a 3-lane motorway to 80/90mph allowing those who wish to travel at speed the oportunity to do so? Could it work? Perhaps cars less that a certain age would be allowed to reach those speeds while older cars must limit to 70. Probably be hard to police, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
What I find extremely frustrating are those lorry drivers over-taking other lorries by 1mph

My older brother was an HGV driver, driving inter-city Royal Mail trailer units. And, he often used to tell me that overtaking in a full loaded HGV on hills was down to the inertia of the vehicle. Backing off the throttle to sit behind a slower HGV may result in a truck losing its momentum entirely. One of the reasons that some (but not all)  tractor units are fitted with multi ratio gearboxes with multi axle splitters 16+ gears to play tunes on is nothing unusual in trucks. But the power band of large diesel engines is very narrow (unlike your petrol driven car which will rev happily from 500 to 6000+) truck engines are often less than 2500rpm of which less than 1000rpm actually develops any usable power.
Yes it is frustrating. But don't hold the driver too much to blame he/she may be very well aware of the annoyances they are causing. Don't forget they drive cars in their leisure time as well.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.