Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: who is the most dangerous? slow or fast drivers

rule 130
Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
   if the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so
   if the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency
[Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9, 10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4, 8, 9 &

but you will not find a single unboxed solid line - far as I can see
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

There you go.... the biker can interpret the law as he sees fit..... basically because he considers that he does not take up as much room as a four wheeled vehicle... usually they have self defined the double white lines down the centre of the road as "motorbike lanes".... because their tyres are the only thing that fits between them.... proving that they have the same amount of space between their ears, containing their brain.....
Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: shutter
There you go.... the biker can interpret the law as he sees fit.....

Lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
If traffic is STOPPED or moving at less than 15mph then YES IT IS LEGAL TO CROSS A WHITE LINE.
Cycle lanes are a grey area as are bus lanes depends on the local council.

Does that include horizontal white lines used at STOP signs?  I would think not, yet many motorcyclists do so to jump the traffic.
It was quite shocking last night as I followed an ambulance to then be overtaken by 2 motorbikes one of which turned left at a roundabout & the other came to a grinding halt because he'd been going too fast to realise he needed to turn!  Closely followed by another 2 motorbikes both of whom had the exact same problem and missed their turning off a roundabout!  Now, bearing in mind I had been checking very carefully on my mirrors due to having pulled over for the ambulance (and therefore not being too sure if another or another emergency vehicle would be following); can anybody explain why it was only when I was on the approach to the roundabout that I was aware of the motorbikes?  Was it
a) I wasn't paying attention?
b) The motorcyclists were driving like the nutters that they all are?
c) other?
I leave it open to the motorcyclists amongst us to answer that!
Community Veteran

Adding to this "cat among the pigeons" commentary on bikers I can only say what I see on the road.
That is that bikers, like car drivers, vary. Some are very good, some "normal" and some really bad.
The difference is that the ratio of those categories is VERY different between cars and bikes.
The great majority of car drivers I see drive responsibly.
The great majority of bikers I see drive very dangerously, for both themselves and others.
And that's from what is probably well over half a million miles driving.
Community Veteran

Agrree 100% with HPsauce...
I mean... where is the most dangerous place on the road?  = The Crown of the road, between two opposing traffic flows with closing speeds of anything above 60 mph and often 100 to 150 mph with no safety margin, except the "goodwill" of the drivers on each side to "get out of the way" of some moronic idiot trying to commit suicide.
I remember an RAF pilot commenting on how "safe" their aerobatic displays are, when compared to driving a car on the road.....
He said.... " When I am up there, with my plane, doing close manoeuvering, often within a few feet, at 250 to 300 mph... I KNOW the guy in the other plane..and where he is going to be....
however, I don`t know the other guy, coming the opposite direction on the road, and it often scares me...."
Something all bikers ( and other drivers ) should consider when approaching a bend..... "I wonder what it would be like to meet ME coming the other way" ..... and not just "assume" the road will be clear, when they clip the apex to take the "racing line"......
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
and not just "assume" the road will be clear, when they clip the apex to take the "racing line"......

I agree with this, I also think that more drivers and riders need to take some form of advanced driving training - maybe not enough to pass the tests but some training on how to read the road and traffic. The number of car drivers that I see that look no further forward than the next car is scary, they will overtake heading for traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts etc. READ the road and look at least 0.5 mile ahead (conditions permitting) not 20 yards.
Fixes: 225

The sign on the attached photo reads Please Ride Safely.
The road is the A621 in Derbyshire and is a magnet for bikers.
The sign is repeated at intervals all along the road on both sides reflecting the concerns of the authorities for the number of bike accidents on this and other similar roads in north Derbyshire, many resulting in fatality.
Please note it reads 'Ride' not 'drive'.
Many people I know have spoken of crazy bike riding in the area which is on Sheffield's doorstep. The roads are narrow and twisty (most likely the attraction) and visibility on bends is often obscured by trees or stone walls.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.3 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The common problem with many drivers/bikers/cyclists/pedestrians is the blind faith that basically leads them to put their lives in other peoples hands. To have and expect other people to look out for them while they themselves don't.
I assume this is just another aspect of the "it's not my fault/responsibility generation.
Community Veteran

Getting back to the subject I would say SLOW drivers esp on motorways, they cause lorries to back up, congestion etc. Why do they feel the need to be MLOC members? Toddling down lane 2 of the motorway when the inside is empty for miles, READ THE HIGHWAY CODE = RETURN TO/KEEP LEFT.
When I am towing I will keep an eye behind me and if possible pull over to let faster traffic past, but the number of drivers who don't (whether towing or not) is getting silly, when you are stuck behind a car/caravan doing 30-40mph and they refuse to pull over is just frustrating, Since you are limited to 50mph on A roads then the chances of overtaking them are NILL if you are towing as well = more frustration for drivers following with 2 vehicles towing in front.
What is often worse is the "me & my mate" & our caravans they don't leave enough space between them to overtake one and pull in so you are forced to overtake both easy on a bike not so easy in a small car.
Although I have followed (and passed quickly) a caravanner doing 70-80mph on the motorway (meant to be 60) with the caravan bouncing from side to side - I can only assume someone not used to towing (I hope).
gswindale
Grafter

Hairy Biker makes a good point which makes the fact that my wife got beeped at and a fist shook at her for stopping to let a police car past all the worse as the police car was 2/3 cars behind and it was the car directly behind which got annoyed whilst he should have stopped or at least slowed down & pulled in to the side before her!
I cannot believe that some people just do not know how to use their mirrors.
Maybe it is a case that people should resit their tests every few years?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: geofftswin
Maybe it is a case that people should resit their tests every few years?

If not retake a test, perhaps an obligatory refresher course every three years might be a good idea. Think how many people that would keep employed as well...
However realistically, maybe there should be a limited time after passing the basic test that an Advanced Driving test should be taken (and passed) or the license would revert to the provisional with all its restrictions and a further basic test taken.
All drivers over 65 (or possibly lower) should be required to supply an opticians report on suitability to drive. The much maligned "read a number plate at whatever it is" should be scrapped and replaced by something much more positive.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
The much maligned "read a number plate at whatever it is" should be scrapped and replaced by something much more positive.

That is certainly true - I remember at my test, my instructor pointed out which car it was likely to be before we went into the exam centre.  Therefore I could read and learn the number plate on the way past from a much closer distance than required.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, you only need to hang around outside a test centre for a short while to discover which car examiners are using for the "sight" test.
Oddly, when I was required to visit "naughty boy school" (aka Speed Awareness Course) having exceeded the speed limit in front of a Gatso. The same sight assessment was used.
Interestingly, the only part of that course that meant anything to me was during the practical (in an automatic) over a twisty lane of around a couple of miles. being required to drive it without using the brakes but remaining inside or at the speed limit. Interesting exercise that I still occasionally practice if the conditions allow it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

we have a lot on the A12 -  Dual Carriageway who belong to the BRITISH OUTSIDE LANE OWNERS CLUB SUPPORTER who also never pull over for police cars